Thread: Junkyard lied about 1997 vehicle ecu

Tuner in Training

Junkyard lied about 1997 vehicle ecu

I picked up an ecu from what I thought was a 1997 automatic camaro for my 1996 manual camaro, expecting to only have to change transmission data.

The vin# the junkyard supplied me with is out of a 1997 park avenue. Will this still work with hptuners for my camaro?
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

3" intake, pacesetter headers, 3" S-pipe, 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, exedy clutch, 3.42's and auburn LSD (back to 3.23's and open diff for now), Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 245/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires.

HPTuners Pro, PLX Wideband, 97 ECU

1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 93.57 before tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You'll definitely want to flash it with a camaro file.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I *****ed and threw in a cuss word after a couple minutes, and he made a compromise. Exchanged it for a 1997 camaro ecu that he is picking up tomorrow. Said he was going to be out where it is coming from. He is paying 50.00, I paid 75.00, but with the distance he is getting it from its not worth arguing over the price too, ha.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=97357

He told me its the same part number, I said I know. He told me its the same engine, I said I know. He gave me the ring around about being able to flash it at a dealer, I told him I wouldn't have bought it knowing I had to do that and I tried to sound smart (without having HPTuners yet; ordered it today) because I know there is a difference with at least what the MAP reads up to for FWD vs. RWD.

Bill, would I have been able to license that correctly to tune my camaro before I reflashed it and would just of had a bad tune, or would the license give me an error since it was a park avenue operating system and vin#?
    Last edited by saltnvinegar6287; 07-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

3" intake, pacesetter headers, 3" S-pipe, 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, exedy clutch, 3.42's and auburn LSD (back to 3.23's and open diff for now), Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 245/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires.

HPTuners Pro, PLX Wideband, 97 ECU

1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 93.57 before tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You could probably just take a 97 file & do a write entire to it, our software will ask you to license the file you want to write to the pcm as well as the file in the pcm which is the main hangup(most don't want to use the extra 2 credits)...other than that it should work out fine though I'd think.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"