Thread: Free rev at idle and between shifts

Tuner in Training

Free rev at idle and between shifts

I have a 96 camaro m5. I just recieved HPTuners, so I put a 97 camaro a4 computer in and drove for 2 minutes before I read the files to tune it.

Besides the difference in idle speed between the two transmissions which I already fixed, there was a lot of free rev whenever the clutch was disengaged and there was minimal deceleration in gear with no throttle.

I copied what I believe to be as close to a stock 97 camaro m5 tune as I can find, but these "free rev" problems have no change. For the slow deceleration with closed throttle, I noticed my wideband is giving me a steady 14.5 reading when under this condition with the 96 ecu it would go lean, so it seems like fuel is not being pulled. I am guessing this is the same for my free rev problem between gears.

It is funny because I am having tuning issues before I even started tuning. Any help please? Thanks!
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

3" intake, pacesetter headers, 3" S-pipe, 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, exedy clutch, 3.42's and auburn LSD (back to 3.23's and open diff for now), Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 245/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires.

HPTuners Pro, PLX Wideband, 97 ECU

1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 93.57 before tuning

Tuner in Training
    I think I fixed this problem by increasing the values of the deceleration enleanment table. Now I have to play around with the ECT and VAC DE modifier tables.

Where I stand now, I think I can back off a little bit on the deceleration enleanment table, and increase the DE multiplier a little for low vacuum on the VAC modifier table.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

3" intake, pacesetter headers, 3" S-pipe, 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, exedy clutch, 3.42's and auburn LSD (back to 3.23's and open diff for now), Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 245/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires.

Tuner in Training
    I also noticed that around 60 mph my car begins to add a bunch of fuel, no matter what gear or throttle position I am at. I can not get past 70...

Ideas?
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

Tuner in Training
    A friend told me that on his non-American car that above 70 mph the car disregards TPS and tunes assuming some enriched state; he added a chip that changes this enriched switchover to 85 mph for highway fuel economy purposes.

Maybe there is a table I do not know about in our cars that does something similar? This thread is turning into me talking to myself, haha.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

Tuner in Training
    I think I know what fixed the issue. Who the hell told me to change that P0121 Error MAP value in "Engine Diag" to Min = 0 and Max = 100? Maybe I told myself, but that messed some stuff up. I changed that and a few Engine tables such as Initial vs. Startup, Closed Loop Delay, and DE Modifier ECT that would probably have no effect on my problem, and problem solved!

Some fine tuning on the DE Tables for drivability and I can finally start my PE AFR and Spark Advance.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5