Thread: LNF not using commanded cam angles

Advanced Tuner

LNF not using commanded cam angles

Please see in the area of frame 6170. The exhaust cam angle is 4, and the intake cam angle is 9. These are not the commanded cam angles in that cell, as seen in the attached tune file. The exhaust cam angle should be -2, and the intake cam angle should be 1. This is assuming its using the base main warm tables (and this is a good assumption as the coolant temps were north of 190*). It's almost like changes to the table are not being realized by the PCM. Also, can anyone tell me if they ever saw a negative angle in the scanner? It's a bitch not knowing if I'm not achieving negative angles, or if the scanner is just buggy.

What can I do to make the actual cam angle = the commanded cam angle?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Please see in the area of frame 6170. The exhaust cam angle is 4, and the intake cam angle is 9. These are not the commanded cam angles in that cell, as seen in the attached tune file. The exhaust cam angle should be -2, and the intake cam angle should be 1. This is assuming its using the base main warm tables (and this is a good assumption as the coolant temps were north of 190*). It's almost like changes to the table are not being realized by the PCM. Also, can anyone tell me if they ever saw a negative angle in the scanner? It's a bitch not knowing if I'm not achieving negative angles, or if the scanner is just buggy.

What can I do to make the actual cam angle = the commanded cam angle?
    Very interesting. I have never logged cam angles so have not seen this disparity I will have to check that out for myself.

me as well!

Advanced Tuner
    Subscribed to see the outcome.

Advanced Tuner
    Chris or Bill from HPT, can you comment? One or more of the following is going on here: The scanner doesn't work, the editor doesn't work, there are more cam tables or mutlipliers at play.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

There are more tables at play. It's admitted the LNF is not full scale yet. Give em some time.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    There are more tables at play. It's admitted the LNF is not full scale yet. Give em some time.
    It's not that I do not believe you, but I would like to hear it from Chris/Bill in this specific case. Plus that does not explain the lack of observed negative angles in the scanner...

not to change the subject but how does the car run with that fuel table on meth? I assume your running 100psi on the pump. what size jet are you running? did you see you duty cycle drop and or your iats? thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by boostking View Post
    not to change the subject but how does the car run with that fuel table on meth? I assume your running 100psi on the pump. what size jet are you running? did you see you duty cycle drop and or your iats? thanks in advance
    It runs fine. As you can see from the log in the OP, there is no WOT KR to speak of. Its actually a 250PSI pump with a 3ghp nozzle. I run 50/50 methanol/water for now. There was a small drop in injector duty cycle to be expected with the supplemental fuel source. LTFTs in the cells where the meth injection was firing went from -0.8% to about -1.5% last i checked. The fun part is with the HRC intercooler and my current set up, I can get about 10*F below ambient on IAT2...

I'm upgrading to a 7gph nozzle and switching up to 75% methanol.

7 is a bit too big on the stock turbo. Are you using a progressive controller? I think you will see some bogging issues with that 7GPH nozzle without a pro controller. I would stick with the 5GPH after the turbo and get a pro controller and run the pump around 100psi at WOT. Set it to turn on around 8psi and full at around 17psi. I bet you will have better luck. Or if you want do a 2GPH before the turbo and 3GPH after the turbo with a dual set up. Do yourself a favor and run more like a 90/10 mix to make some more power, you'll be just fine. Don't ask how I know. I mean, I did just sell my 08 Sky RL that had a Snow pro kit and my 04 Ion RL has a Devil's Own pro kit.

Remember as pump pressure increases so does effective nozzle size and vice versa. Your 3GPH nozzle at the factory pump setting of about 200psi is more like a 4.25gph nozzle, which is just about right for the set up you are running.
    Last edited by dont_blink; 07-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    7 is a bit too big on the stock turbo. Are you using a progressive controller? I think you will see some bogging issues with that 7GPH nozzle without a pro controller. I would stick with the 5GPH after the turbo and get a pro controller and run the pump around 100psi at WOT. Set it to turn on around 8psi and full at around 17psi. I bet you will have better luck. Or if you want do a 2GPH before the turbo and 3GPH after the turbo with a dual set up. Do yourself a favor and run more like a 90/10 mix to make some more power, you'll be just fine. Don't ask how I know. I mean, I did just sell my 08 Sky RL that had a Snow pro kit and my 04 Ion RL has a Devil's Own pro kit.

Remember as pump pressure increases so does effective nozzle size and vice versa. Your 3GPH nozzle at the factory pump setting of about 200psi is more like a 4.25gph nozzle, which is just about right for the set up you are running.
    my setup is also the ais stage 1. I have a 3gph and a 7gph. I think I will run the 3gph jet at 100psi on pure meth. and turn up the timing....