Thread: knock retard at throttle opening after shift

knock retard at throttle opening after shift

I am working on my spark advance table (leaning heavily on a post from Russ Kemp), and the only remaining issue is some knock retard when I get back on the throttle after a shift. So far I have experimented by adding 0.5 to my 'Knock Sensor Level vs Tip in TPS', and reduced 'Knock Retard Decay Rate'. But I am still getting the KR at transient throttle. Here is a screenshot of a quick log from 1st to 2nd, and I'll also attach my current tune.

So what should I try next? Thanks for any input. I have been reading on this forum a lot, but am still not at a point where I can contribute very much

I forgot to mention that when I did a WOT scan in 2nd gear without a shift up to red line, there was zero NR.
    Last edited by Chevy406; 07-31-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Check to see if it's burst knock.

In order to determine burst knock, do I just drop the commanded ignition timing a couple degrees (in that rpm/load area) and see if the KR changes?

Advanced Tuner
    You are in 13.7 on your PE.. Try 12.7 or 12.8

My PE table is the other part of my tune that I am not happy with. My car was first "tuned" by someone else, and he set the PE table. When I started working with my own copy of HPT, I left the PE table where he had set it, and I worked on a SD VE tune. It wasn't until I was wrapping that up that I realized my PE numbers are "off" what everyone else is posting. But with my LM-1 hooked up it is running 12.5-12.7 AFR at WOT. So does that mean that my VE tuning has compensated for the values that were in the PE table? Should I go back and put the PE table to more typical numbers and then re-work my VE tune?

Senior Tuner
    You need to set your PE table to what you want to command at WOT period. Despite what values you are reading on your WB. Your VE tables are raped in others words to command a 12.5-12.7 currently. Set the PE table first then tune your VE/MAF.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Set the PE table first then tune your VE/MAF.
    that's what I missed back when I did my SD VE tune. Oh well, I'll put my wide band back in, reset the PE, and then redo the VE table. It's all part of the experience.

Thanks for the help.