Thread: Need Tuning Help

Tuner in Training

Need Tuning Help

I have been trying to get my truck to run after i added a cam, lower compression pistons and a blower.
    Specs are as follows
    60 lb injectors
    Thunder Racing Blower cam
    Whipple Supercharger
    AEM WideBand
    Right now its at the exhaust shop getting a wide band o2 put in it. The biggest issue that i am having right now is if i try and give it throttle it will not go bucks and then sometimes dies. I had to idle the whole way to the exhaust shop. I attached my current tune please let me know what im missing

Tuner in Training
    after getting the wideband put in and following the instructions on the DVD i got from summit i am getting really high VE numbers at light loads and low RPM, as much as 114 at 30 kpa and 1200 rpm, this does not seem right to me any one have any advice?

Senior Tuner
    Post a copy of your latest scan using the current tune. Let it warm up to operating temp. and start logging so we can see the issue... post your results.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

I think you mean really light loads at 130 kpa bro. Positive displacement blowers can make full boost at very low throttle position points. That can certainly be right on a supercharged vehicle. Keep in mind that the VE is just a #. If you cut your injector values in half, the VE values would be double that. It's all part of the algorithm that in the end decides how much fuel to pulse in. If your wideband is reading properly and it is where it should be then don't worry about the #'s. The bucking is often times from not enough fuel. I have had occasion where adding a little timing on the transitional area into boost will stop the hesitation as well. Log the truck and see where it's bucking using the histograms. Look at your wideband values, your spark timing and their locations on the VE and spark tables. Make adjustments to those cells if needed as well as those around them to create a smooth map. If you need any help with setting up your wideband or setting up the histograms, let us know.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blownbluez06 View Post
    I think you mean really light loads at 130 kpa bro. Positive displacement blowers can make full boost at very low throttle position points. That can certainly be right on a supercharged vehicle. Keep in mind that the VE is just a #. If you cut your injector values in half, the VE values would be double that. It's all part of the algorithm that in the end decides how much fuel to pulse in. If your wideband is reading properly and it is where it should be then don't worry about the #'s. The bucking is often times from not enough fuel. I have had occasion where adding a little timing on the transitional area into boost will stop the hesitation as well. Log the truck and see where it's bucking using the histograms. Look at your wideband values, your spark timing and their locations on the VE and spark tables. Make adjustments to those cells if needed as well as those around them to create a smooth map. If you need any help with setting up your wideband or setting up the histograms, let us know.
    no i do mean 30 kpa, its when its at idle. The VE table is getting a little better but i still have not driven it yet, i am having a issue on restart. After it warms up when i go to restart the motor it will run at around 300 rpm and usually die pretty quick, Could this be because i am seeing high IAT's because i have a non inercooled blower? I did relocate the sesnor into the boosted air for a accurate reading

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blander66 View Post
    no i do mean 30 kpa, its when its at idle. The VE table is getting a little better but i still have not driven it yet, i am having a issue on restart. After it warms up when i go to restart the motor it will run at around 300 rpm and usually die pretty quick, Could this be because i am seeing high IAT's because i have a non inercooled blower? I did relocate the sesnor into the boosted air for a accurate reading
    well maby 130 now that i messed with some stuff. So when i look at my log on one computer it show me running between 30 and 100 kpa when use the same config file on another computer it show me running between 80 and 210 kpa wtf?

Tuner in Training
    ok, i got a few things sorted out and was actually able to drive the truck, I have worked on the VE table and was actually able to hit the gas a little before it would act up. The problems i am still facing are.

I can not seem to get the VE's dialed in one time there rich i correct then they go way lean they never seem to narrow in on 14.7 ish

My VE table is full of spikes and does not seem to want to be smooth

IT still wants to stall out some when i try and drive it

I attached the scan from when i took it for a short drive.

Let me know what you guys think

Tuner in Training
    any one??

Right now, you are trusting your wideband. have you enabled STFT's and looked at them for comparison? I have had troubles with many widebands, so I have trust issues. I use the STFT's for a sanity check. If you dial in the VE and your STFT values are high, it's time to figure out what's wrong with the wideband. Scaling, wiring etc.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Is that scan from driving the truck? Looks like before you started it, your MAP was at 210kpa. It shouldn't be. Ambient air pressure is around 100. It may read 105, but shouldn't show 210. You have ton's of knock retard and what seems to be a slow decay rate. Right when you start the engine, the timing is at 42 degrees and then it falls down to 2. Something's not right, but can't say what. If you don't have a Vehicle Speed Sensor, you need to figure out how to get one on there or figure out how to tell the PCM that you're moving so you can get it to change from idle tables to main tables. Also, if you moved your IAT sensor to a place after the blower, you have totally changed the dynamic of IAT vs. Anything. Those tables were written based on ambient air coming in to the engine. IAT vs. Spark, Also, you have your OLFA table set to 1.0. I don't do that. I put it at 1.0 only where the vehicle is at operating temp and then run a OLFA % error histogram from startup to full operating temps to adjust it. Your PE and BE are 1.0. Not good. You need to establish what you want for fueling in PE and BE and divide that into 14.7 to achieve your values. If you want 11.5:1 AFR's under boost, then take 14.7/11.5 and you yield 1.278. Don't try to tune the VE without these values set properly in the Power Enrichment and Boost Enrichment tables.
    Last edited by blownbluez06; 09-07-2009 at 10:42 AM.

One other thing that will cause you mad fits is not having your DTC's set properly for the MAF. Set them to 1 - mil on first error. Nothing else. That's not the way you have one of them.
    The 2 and 3 bar tunes need the MAF to report even though it's dead as it screws up the PCM's ability to calculate fuel if it doesn't report at all. Fix that and the other things and you'll be miles ahead of where you were before you changed them.

Tuner in Training
    here is my latest log, this is with the changes above and Fuel trims enabled

Tuner in Training
    any one??

Tuner in Training
    ttt

If my scanner is reading your log correctly, your long term fuel trim on bank 1 is +19.5. You have a problem there that is more than likely mechanical. Intake leak, exhaust leak, etc.