Thread: tune not working

tune not working

okays guy need some help here.

Background: I went to install my Stg1 cams from CompCams a couple of months back, and the gear that runs the power steering wasn't installed. called Comp and sent it for "repair". I got it back and reinstalled it only to find out when i was on my first run logging to tune for it when the the power steering went out on me. I was in teh middle of moving and didn't have time to mess with it, so I parked it, put it on a trailer for the move, then parked it after the move. after replacing the PS pump, come to find out the gear was striped inside the cam, the cam was turning but the gear and the pump were not. called Comp again, they send me a new cam. fast forward, after life got back to normal I put the new cam in. everything ran fine with the stock cam in, now I'm misfiring like crazy I can barely idle, even with the idle RPM raised.

I tried tuning the idle, then took it for a drive, it pulls me along at about 25mph unless I have my foot on the brake. the brake petal is hard like if you left the hose off the brake booster. I also have serious surging, I'm assuming from the misfires.

I have swapped the coils and ICM with a known good set, replaced the plugs. double checked all my grounds, double checked the timing and its spot on.

I have done a few logs, and reflashes with little or no improvement. so I'm thinking its me. here is a log and HPT file.
    2004 2.2 Ecotec, CompCams Turbo Grind,
    3" exhaust, Precision PTB300-6157 intercooled
    HPT Pro, AEM EUGO wide-band

sounds like the cam timing is off (install wise).,
    2006 cobalt (no more turbo)
    m62 2.7 pulley, E85, 79lb/hr injectors, 4-2-1 longtube header, airbox mod, stock catback

1998 Trans am 5.3 iron block 317 heads 88mm turbo e85 105lb/hr injectors, twin 255's.... build in progress

2014 wrx mild tune 18psi pump gas

Tuner in Training
    Could it be possible that the Timing markings on the CAM itself could be wrong? Is there a way to check that?

Comp Cams reputation has been slowly slipping the last couple years because of quality of craftsmenship so thats why I ask. At least in my experience anyways.

you can't put the gear on the cam itself wrong, however the slot for the gear could be ground in the wrong location i suppose. I'm going to either reinstall teh stock cam, or redo the timing with this one and see what happens.

something i just noticed today is that it didn't make the lil shoosh shoosh sound from the valves opening and closing that you normally hear.

Cam chain tensioner ok?
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

I think your right because it exploded on me when i took it all apart to re-time it from scratch.

now anyone dealt with the new style tensioner they have in teh timing kits? it has no spring and appears to be hydraulic.

okay, went to redo the timing, set the motor to TDC, checked the crank it was at 5oclock. went to put the cam gears back on. both exh and int cams were way off. I had to rotate them both two cycles forward to make the gears line up correctly. if you know the ecotec timing gear/cam, then you know about the off center slot to make them line up. the slots were at about 7oclock, and should have been at 2oclock. this is not a reference to the timing marks but the ends of the cams themselves. they needed to be rotated like this so that the timing marks could be in the right spot. so right now i'm saying bad tensioner, and lucky that I break a bunch of stuff.

not really any change