Thread: Tons of KR

Tuner in Training

Tons of KR

i did a scan today for the hell of it. i found i was getting 15* of KR!!! i had had KR before, but never that much. usually like 5* but i thought it was b/c i was running lean. now it seems like every time the torque converter goes into lockup the KR skyrockets. what should i do? what should i be looking at? even when the TC isnt in lockup the KR is pretty high.

also, i havent touched the tune except for fan temps, trans shift pressure, trans shift speed, and turned torque management off.

Tuner in Training
    heres another scan. more highway driving, with cruise control. not nearly as much KR as the last scan, but i did nothing different. just changed what HPT read.

looks like your running about 10-16 lean. you have no supercharger or turbo you should see no KR.

..."As I lay rubber down the street,
    I pray for traction I can keep,
    but if I spin and begin to slide,
    I pray dear Lord to protect my ride"! Amen.

Tuner in Training
    ya, i know. lol. i went back and set the tune to stock. amazingly the KR dropped down to only three cells having KR of 3*. for some reason im thinking that taking torque management off might have caused the tranny to vibrate causing false knock. that is the only thing i changed other than fan temps and shift pressure/time. and i know that neither of those would cause vibrations of that nature. so as of right now i think a max of 3* of KR for having a car run that lean isnt too far out of range. right?

here is the tune after setting it back to stock.

weird that your seeing any KR. what grade gas are you running.

i run 93 oct with all my mods and see less that 3* at full boost 10-12PSI.

Tuner in Training
    ur gonna say "WTF ARE YOU THINKING!?" but the past 2 or 3 tanks have been 87. however this next tank and every tank after is gonna be premium. it just sucks b/c here the jump between each grade is 15 cents per gallon.

ours is 10 cents. gas is 2.75 for V-power. you need to post the engine and mods if any.

Tuner in Training
    i thought i had my sig up... but guess not.

1997 3.8 V6 Camaro: Pacesetter headers, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, 3" S-pipe, LS1 catback, SLP CAI.

i am tank is close to empty, so ill fill it up with premium today. we only have 1 shell station in town, and its about 15 miles away, otherwise id be using them.

even with those mods i don't think you should see any KR with that oct gas.

YOu may need to desensitize your Knock sensor. but i'm not to sure how that is done.

Tuner in Training
    i know that most ppl desensitize them after tuning with the WB. i think there is a write up that has how to desensatize them, ill see if i can dig it up.

Advanced Tuner
    I have scanned several normally aspirated 3800's and they have all had quite a bit of kr - remember thay have higher compression than an L67 and people run crap gas in them.....
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner in Training
    you know its hard to find good gas anymore around here. everything contains 15% ethanol now. there is one gas station here that sells non-ethanol gas, but he is a good 20-25 miles out. and i know, the car is supposed to take premium, and thats all its gonna get from now on.

went and filled it up with premium today. ill do a scan tomorrow. just wondering, but could having COT off have caused more KR? i just remembered that was the one thing i changed on the engine. the other things were torque management, shift time/pressure, and fan temps.

ethanol isn't really a bad thing but you are paying for something you don't want.

Ethanol will accually reduce KR at the expense of having to run more into the engine.

Tuner in Training
    heres the KR sensor desensitizing write up.

http://www2.turbov6camaro.com:443/safr.htm

well first off i would not desensitize the knock sensors untill good tune can be preformed. it should be the last thing you do if you are having false knock conditions.
    You need to work on a maf tune to get those fuel trims in line. when i was n/a i would see 6 degrees of knock with 93 octane. i had several intake modds, and when i got the maf tunned i was able to get rid of most if not all of it except maybe a blip of 1* at the shift points.
    Cot being disabled shouldt bother it any but since your tune is lean it could be helping you by adding extra fuel to protect the cat.
    I would make sure injector value is flatline across the board if have a return style fuel system. and then start working on a maf tune

oh yeah and if your using fuel with 15% ethanol then you will have a different stoichiometric ratio then with regular gasoline. so the tune should be adjusted for that also.
    Last edited by chrisb; 09-20-2009 at 05:17 PM.