Thread: Odd engine noise, not sure what it is, check it out

Odd engine noise, not sure what it is, check it out

Started my car up today and there was no noise, got to where I was going and heard a squeaking noise from under the hood. I thought it may have been a pulley but had a hard time pinpointing it, so I pulled the belt. The noise was still there.

Here is a video of the noise. I can hear it mainly on the driver side it seems, over the top of the manifold and also under the car. The video itself sucks but you can hear the noise as I move to different locations.

Any ideas? I am hoping it is something simple like something in the valvetrain or like a pilot bearing (but I doubt it's that simple). Noise is there clutch in or out and the noise is RPM dependent, but it does not seem to get any louder with RPM (the noise of the car drowns it out). Oil pressure also seems OK and the oil is brand new and still looks that way. Just trying to point out everything I have checked so far, haven't had a lot of time to check anything else.

Any feedback is appreciated.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=MOV01537.flv
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    I've had a weird noise like that, never did find it and then all of a sudden it went away. Mine only did it when the engine was cold. I took off all the belts and unplugged my EWP and still did it.

Good luck, post up if you find it...

Bill
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

Found it. It is a lifter that was stuck but I found 3 damaged:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...-opinions.html
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB