Thread: Tuning a Vortech on a 2005+ Mustang

Advanced Tuner

Tuning a Vortech on a 2005+ Mustang

I recently installed a Vortech V-3 on my 2005 Mustang. It came with a Diablosport handheld, which the provided tune is garbage to say the least. At wide open throttle the car is lean in high RPMs and sputters a little. So I unhooked that piece of crap, called Vortech and they said I have to tune it on my own.

Fine, I was probably going to retune it anyhow seeing as I can't leave stuff alone. But why not provide a tune that works right out of the box when you say you do?

I know part of the problem is that I have removed my Catalytic convertors, so that requires additional tuning to make up for the fuel. But I have been playing around with it and am commanding nearly a 10.5:1 AFR. I feel like I am getting closer and closer to getting this nailed down, but has anyone here really done much with this?

I helped tune my friends 2006 Mustang with a Saleen charger on it. So far he has run a 10.86 et in the 1/4mile. Dyno numbers 488rwhp. His mods are:Saleen Charger. 10lbs boost. CompCams Stage 2, C&L racer CAI, TCI tranny, PI 2800stall, full suspension. We of course used a wideband to tune.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm putting on the dyno on Saturday to read my AFRs. I'm done playing around until then because I want to know if I'm close. I'm definitely closer than the Vortech tune was.

Hello Psykostevo,
    I recently just finished tuning an '07 with Saleen blower. With 16 psi it made 582 HP and 572 TQ. It is a little tricky, but does work well. You definately need to know you A/F readings though. I will try my best to help with any questions.

Paul
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

Advanced Tuner
    Right now I am using my SCT Advantage III to do all of the tuning because of the scanner support that that brings compared to my HPTuners setup.

I've tuned them for superchargers before, just not the Vortech, and it's trickier than the normal blowers. I wish Vortech could provide a little more support on the matter. They were nice enough to answer the questions I had but told me that I was on my own for tuning since their Diablosport they sent out didn't work for me. I was a little disappointed with that. I expected to bolt it up and and atleast be able to have fun from day 1. I didn't think I was going to need to retune until I wanted to put it on the dyno and dick around with my other softwares.

I've done TONS of these and they're not too bad once you're used to it. You'll need to use a wideband to nail the MAF curve first before you do anything else. After that's set, the ETC calibration is a little tricky to learn but can be done in an hour or two for an experienced tuner. It's definitely not something that's simple enough to explain in a single post or thread, but I cover in great detail in my advanced ford training classes.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm certainly not opposed to learning more about the torque based tuning, especially since the new GM controllers seem to be using it to on the Turbos. And I expect the Ecoboost motors to be even more heavily reliant on that function.

Advanced Tuner
    Holy Cow, what a day! I got the car on the dyno and it performed like a dream.

Mods:

Autolite HT0 plugs
    Pypes off-road X-pipe
    Muffler Deletes
    39# Injectors
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    Vortech V-3 w 3.8" Pulley (8psi) Non-intercooled
    91 Octane Fuel

According to Vortech I should have been expecting 380-390 rwhp. So I went to the dyno expecting to see those numbers. After a few tweaks on the dyno, I can say that I blew those numbers out of the water. I not only wildly exceeded my exectations, but I think it is impressive considering that I am non-intercooled. I can't wait until I install this water/meth injection next week and really cool this sucker down.

My end results were 437 rwhp and 377 rwtq! And all of this was on a conservative "baby tune". I do not have timing up very high, and I have my AFRs around 11.3-11.5.

Advanced Tuner

heelp

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Muscle View Post
    Hello Psykostevo,
    I recently just finished tuning an '07 with Saleen blower. With 16 psi it made 582 HP and 572 TQ. It is a little tricky, but does work well. You definately need to know you A/F readings though. I will try my best to help with any questions.

Paul
    men can you help my out a costumer of mine bought one of those saleen sc but it came with no programer ,did you have the stock program for the sc with 6 psi of boost im making more mods and ill be agreat starting point the stock saleen tune thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I have tunes for most of the blowers including Saleen. Is it just the standard output saleen blower?

Advanced Tuner
    yes is the standar kit with the 6 psi pulley on it

i just added from saleen the oval air box cover and the elbow
    and the HTO spark plugs from autolite

is a auto car so im gonna make the trans part of the tuning i just need the original tune for a start point, thanks

Sorry dlc,
    I don't have a base tune. The tune I did on the '07 w/ Saleen was totally custom. We recently added a little NOS to cool things off and the car is a monster now. Over 600HP/TQ and runs high 9's in quarter.
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

FYI removing cats does not require any change to maf xfer or commanded lambda tables. The only reason you would see a change in fueling, is if you were going into cat protect mode before and weren't any more (due to switches being turned off), but you should know if thats happening anyways.
    Justin Starkey
    Ford and GM custom tuning
    Mobile Dynojet 224xLC
    www.VMPTuning.com
    2006 F250 CC 6.0L 14.3@92
    2006 Mustang 4.0L Vortech 15psi 395rwhp wife's car
    2000 Mustang 3.8L TT [email protected] 450rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    thats ok modern muscle but the car you tune is a stock engine car?
    let me see that tune it may help me a lot to make my own tune right ... and also
    to think about a litle shot of nitrous for myself dont you think?
    also im finishing the asembly of a procharged mustang 06 im using the stock 7 psi pulley you may help me a lot with that one to