Thread: Boosted timing tables for 2/3bar OS

Lightbulb Boosted timing tables for 2/3bar OS

Someone might have requested this already, but I am going to request it again. Can you make a new timing table for boosted timing like you did for boosted PE? If while using the 2/3 bar SD OS, the high octane timing table is not used due to the removal of the MAF sensor, can we replace that unused table for this? You could do like the boosted PE does with having programmable parameters that if met, the boosted timing table would be used. Then one could build a timing map for both boosted and none boosted. I would like this because I could run aggressive timing while no boost is present and conservative timing when it is. It would take out the chance of having too much timing as it goes under boost. This should help make the vehicle more responsive.
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.
    DIY Dual Walbro 340 fuel pumps.

Does any one else have an opinion on this? Am I missing a sympler way to do this?
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that would be extremely helpful if it were available. If you do a few searches on it, I think someone said that there isn't enough room on most PCMs. I do think there was one PCM it might fit on but i can't remember now. Frost and a few others have figured out ways around this by using different tables, but you'll have to search for it.

Eric

The high octane table is active in the 1/2/3 bar OS. That is one of the benefits is that you can use high and low octane, IIRC.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Sorry we just don't have the resources to change the LS1 custom os's any further.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    The high octane table is active in the 1/2/3 bar OS. That is one of the benefits is that you can use high and low octane, IIRC.
    Oh I thought because the MAF was removed it reverted to the Low Octane Table. I am glad to learn the High octane table is usefull.

So what is the best method to go about getting the most out of the tune before the boost comes on? Right now I am just guessing the point at which boost comes into play. I am just cutting timing above 60 g/cyl and right before my stall converter speed. Is there a better way to do this?

There are other ways to get what you want... here's a hint; AFR Spark Correction Base
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    There are other ways to get what you want... here's a hint; AFR Spark Correction Base
    Thanks. I never noticed that.
    98 Z28 370 LQ9 w/ TH350, FTI 4800 Stall, OLSD, NW90 TB, 80# Motron Inj, AFR 225's, 231/231 .624/.624 114, Mamofied FAST 90 Intake, PT88 Front Mount w/ 4" DP dumped before the Strange S60 w/ a 3.73 gear

Thanks, I will try and use this, but I bet you will get a PM from me with questions.

Are you talking about having some adjustability between the Main Spark Advance timing tables limit in g/cyl and whatever g/cyl the engine produces?
    If so, would the Spark Correction ADD be applicable with a turbo where boost is not related to RPM? Or where at any given RPM there won't be a specific AFR requirement?
    2011 Camaro, 430cu Lsx, Mast Heads, Ported TVS 2300, ID 1300's, E85-Flex, Squash Fuel System, 250 Direct Port Nitrous, LPE Overdrive rear 10/14 Rib, Overdrive, 2.8" Upper, NW 102, 2" ARH, PATC built A6, Circle D Conv. etc. BMR 15" Wheel Conversion w/29/10.5W's/15 Hoosiers

2007 H2 SUT, 427 LSX, T76 BB@16lbs 225 Trickflows, Vic JR Intake, Lt's, Dual return fuel sys, Comp 236-232-115, 4L80e, 3000 Vigilante, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DRTWRK View Post
    Are you talking about having some adjustability between the Main Spark Advance timing tables limit in g/cyl and whatever g/cyl the engine produces?
    If so, would the Spark Correction ADD be applicable with a turbo where boost is not related to RPM? Or where at any given RPM there won't be a specific AFR requirement?
    I'm not really following you... but I can show what I am talking about.

My example pertains to GenIII firstly. Here is a screen shot of a recent 2bar centri-charged car. In this example, in PE (no boost) commanded AFR is about 12.8 and 6.5deg are added back to the "spark soup" which cumulatively makes up total timing whenever commanded fueling = 1.15 EQ. When in boost up to 110kPa we are commanding 1.20 EQ (about 12.2 AFR) and getting 5 deg of spark added back in. Commanding 1.25 adds 3 deg. If you look at the last transitional cell in the BE table you see 1.273 EQ. Looking at the AFR adder, it falls between a column with a value and a column with 0. In this case, it will use interpolation and the proper middle (well, interpolated) spark value will still be added.

A very important side note; for several reasons, whenever using the 2/3 bar OS's, you MUST tune the TPS/PE table to get make sure that the car ALWAYS enters PE just before boost. In applications such as turbos that can make light boost at light throttle in higher gears, if you get boost BEFORE PE values are satisfied, though you may command a richer value in BE, the STFTs will remain active and fight the AFR back to stoich. You also want to get this done to be able to use the lighter fueling and more spark at the appropriate times leading into boost to keep things nice and crisp. Using TPS alone for PE triggering will put you in PE in places that you don't need it such as 20% throttle at 1400 RPMs. Pulling off in first or second can use that much throttle but not need PE, though in the higher gears 20% at 1400 may make 1-2 psi. The best bet is to make your TPS enable for PE happen early and low, like around 20% in the problem spots and set the MAP enable up to about 85 kPa. This way, you get PE when you need it according to MAP and stay in closed loop otherwise. It will get PE in before BE as well, so trimming will stop.

Last edited by Frost; 05-13-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added a bit
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Now this is good info. I can see how this works and how it will help. Thanks Frost!

We might want to make this a sticky.

Potential Tuner
    So are the High/Low octane tables used in SD or not? If they are, is the g/cyl calced somehow from the VE table?

Advanced Tuner
    wow, i learned something today. so i can increase my high load no boost pe area timming without worrying about running to much timing for the boost area's. you know i have a "kick" area when coming slow out of boost while going up hill (turbo loaded) that this may fix. thanks frost!
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
    So are the High/Low octane tables used in SD or not? If they are, is the g/cyl calced somehow from the VE table?
    Yes they are used and yes that is how it is calculated. If you have a custom x bar OS then the hi and low work as intended. If not, then it reverts to the low octane.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I use the AFR Spark Advance Table to actually pull timing as the fuel mixture gets richer. I don't have my laptop in front of me at the moment to show screne shots but basically the more boost you run the slightly richer you want the fuel mixture so I set my Main Spark tables up normally and as the car reaches boost it will command richer fuel mixtures that will also look up on this AFR Spark Advance Table to pull timing the richer the fuel mixture goes or the more boost the car see's. If that makes any sense to you all.

Like stated earlier the car must be in PE for all this to work so I set the TPS engagement really low and then set the MAP engagement to around 75-80kpa that way partial throttle even above the enable TPS will still be stoich but as soon as it starts seeing 75-80kpa or more it will enter PE!
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 12-18-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    Subscribed Good info here

Advanced Tuner
    very impressive

So you can actually use this AFR Spark Advance Correction -Add to remove timing ?