Thread: Cam idle help needed

Tuner in Training

Cam idle help needed

Just put in a 228/232 .588 .595 112lsa in my 05 gto. Once the car has been running for a good 5-7 seconds, it idles really well. But the startup, I can't seem to get right...Either i put too much air and it revs to like 1700 rpms or not enough and it wants to stall out. I attached my tune, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Here is a short idle log on a warm startup.

You have a LOT of startup airflow. You need to ramp it down from the initial value faster, too. Look at a stock table and see how it's setup, where in the first half second, it drops off quick.

Your LTFTs are junk, FYI. You've also barely changed your VE compared to a stock file. If you're just going to set up your MAF calibration, then put the car into high speed mode full time. You've still got a totally stock MAF calibration, too.
    Last edited by DSteck; 01-24-2010 at 05:56 PM.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    You have a LOT of startup airflow. You need to ramp it down from the initial value faster, too. Look at a stock table and see how it's setup, where in the first half second, it drops off quick.

Your LTFTs are junk, FYI. You've also barely changed your VE compared to a stock file. If you're just going to set up your MAF calibration, then put the car into high speed mode full time. You've still got a totally stock MAF calibration, too.

I used the stock startup table as a base and just added 6 across it. I took your advice and took away some of that air and again it idles bad if not worse. As far as the VE, I must be doing something wrong. I'm using a how to I found, I fail the maf, copy HO table to LO table, turn off LTFTs to tune the STFTs and copy and paste-add the average from the STFT histogram onto the VE table. Am I missing something?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Down View Post
    Added 6? 6.00 g/s is to much to add to startup as DSteck has stated. You also have you Final Airflow Min tables set to high. Your average is about 9.00 g/s in the log and you have yours set to 11.27 g/s at 800rpms. It's not a good idea to just pick a number and add it to the tables like that. I would be intrested in know what it looks like in stock form. Might only need 1.00g/s might not need any.
    Alright. I appreciate your help. I'm gonna take some of the air out of it, but as I stated before, I tried that and it didn't want to idle right at all. What do you think about the PN under/over speed settings?

Tuner in Training
    I have yet to have to adjust the under/over settings. If the pcm is tuned correct it would not be needed. I start with a stock tune and adjust what needs to be adjusted based on whats off.
    Alright. That makes sense. A correctly tuned pcm will only need x number of charts changed to get it to idle correctly. While a faulty tuned one will need x many more charts to get it to idle somewhat good. I'm going to flash the stock settings back on there and go from there. Can you send me/post up the config that you use to log idle. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    I made some tweaks to both the maf and idle airflow. Tell me what you'll think of this log compared to the other one.

Tuner in Training
    keep working on it.
    Looking any better?