Thread: 2nd on the Stick Holds 2nd Gear All the time

Tuner in Training

2nd on the Stick Holds 2nd Gear All the time

Just wanted to know if anyone knows what settings have been changed that allows my LS1 4 speed auto to hold 2nd gear when shifted into the 2nd position. It does not shift back to 1st when stationary. I like it, but want to know how they did it. I recently had a 300Kw MAFless tune done on the dyno and since then I have noticed the gear shift change.

Advanced Tuner
    HPTuners doesn't have the table, but there is a table for Manual hold gears (for 1st 1>2, 2nd 1>2, and 1st 2>3).

Potential Tuner
    I am pretty sure it is supposed to be like that. Mine has always been that way. I believe it is to help prevent wheel spin when starting on a slippery syrface if that makes any sence. I know some LT1 f-bodies had a button you would push so that you would start out in second gear to prevent wheel spin when on snow.
    2001 PEWTER TRANS AM
    A4 2.73's
    1/4..13.806, mph..102.63, 60'..2.153
    STOCK
    1/4..12.909, mph..108.06, 60'..1.932
    SLP LM, SLP Lid, front sway bar MIA, & some free mods

Can't swear this is true for your car, but...

I also think that is something of a "standard" feature on GM 4 speed automatics. I've worked with some aftermarket trans controllers. One in particular was developed in conjunction with GM. That one definitely has the L2 lever position = 2nd gear no matter what. It also forces max line pressure. Besides the slippery surface theory (which sounds reasonable to me) I think engine braking is also a motivation. Although that may be more of a reason for max line pressure and not so much a reason to prevent a downshift into 1st.
    2009 G8 GT