Thread: Dyno Tuning--how to "pull" in one gear only

Tuner in Training

Dyno Tuning--how to "pull" in one gear only

What are the things I need to turn off to tun on the dyno.

I turned off traction control, but even then when trying to "do a pull" in 3, i hit something that backs off the torque converter.

Can someone point out the tables, etc that I need to turn off to tune on the dyno? Maybe give me some setting in the transmission control so that I operate only in one gear, say third gear.

I'm tuning a 2008 Impala 3.9L.

I don't normally tune automatic transmissions at all.

Advanced Tuner
    I have never had anything on a dyno but I am thinking in the scanner under vcm controls you will be commanding the gear you want to pull in but wait for a definative answer.....
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

I'd like to hear an answer to this also.

I was thinking the same thing Murph but not sure for that model/year
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Advanced Tuner
    Idk, personally I turn off all torque control. I know what my shift tables are set to so I told the guy that dyno'd my car, wait until you get to x mph and then floor it.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    i tried turning off various torque control items. but i still ended up with phenomena like a slipping clutch where the rpm rises but the mph stays the same. needless to say, i don't want to "test" my transmission out and end up without one.

i'm doing just what perforator says. i let the car go through the 1. 2. gearson the dyno, get into 3 gear, get up to about 35 mph and floor it. doesnt' work. either traction control engages or i get the slipping phenomena

Advanced Tuner
    whats the vehicle ?

I always pull the abs fuse on my cars to keep traction control from kicking in at the track ( yes even with the tc shut off) at least on my platform (L67fwd)

I understand that disconnecting the wheel speed sensors will kill all tc too ( again on my platform yours may be different)
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner in Training
    all of your speed limiters disabled?

can you post a log?
    ________
    Hot box vape
    Last edited by KShef; 04-26-2011 at 05:36 AM.