Thread: Old Style Cable won't scan '09 Sierra

Old Style Cable won't scan '09 Sierra

ok, I have an old style serial cable. It's licensed for 2000 and 2003 model trucks.

I guess I should have paid more attention, but I stopped tuning almost 2 years ago and dropped out of the whole performance thing. Fast forward to current - I see that there is no longer an option to upgrade my cable to add my new truck which makes my entire tuner package useless to me now that I have bought a new truck. I decided I'd make the most of it and at least be able to scan/log my new truck and I get an error stating "unable to find VCM" or something like that, my PC finds my tuning cable but can't find my 2009 Sierra's VCM to run a scan even.

Is there an update out there? is there any possible way to get my cable upgraded so that I can tune my new truck? I could careless about the old licenses b/c I and my friends no longer have a 2000 or 2003 model truck.
    2009 Sierra CCSB 5.3 A6 4X4
    2003 Silverado ECSB 4.Late/Auto SOLD

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    serial style cables can't communicate with the CAN bus pcm's. No software update will make it work, its a hardware limitation.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

so basically I can just throw my current setup in the trash? Wish I would have known that.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickvrebel View Post
    so basically I can just throw my current setup in the trash? Wish I would have known that.
    It definitely won't work on any 2009 vehicles.

is there no possible way to upgrade this thing at this point?
    No Trade-in credit?
    I was always under the impression that no matter what I would be able to at least scan any GM vehicle because at purchase this thing said that software updates were free... I understand a cost for hardware upgrades, but if the hardware upgrade means starting over from square one price wise that sounds like a bad way to be doing business.

Leaving your early customers that helped build HP Tuners to what it is out in the cold is pretty shoddy.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Even now we do not guarantee scanning of any GM vehicle, I'm not sure where you would've gotten that idea from.

Software can only go as far as the hardware, you are using hardware that has not been sold for 4+ years and was designed some 7+ years ago several years before CAN based GM vehicles became the norm.

Regarding interface upgrades contact sales to see if they can make the exception however we gave our early customers some 4 years to upgrade and gave them a full year notice that support for them was being discontinued which I think is pretty generous and not leaving them out in the cold by any means. We simply do not have the personnel, repair parts, etc to be able to support those interfaces any longer hence the reason we discontinued support for them sales & otherwise.

Thanks,
    Bill

thanks for your assistance. I will contact sales.