Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Tables Questions

Cam Tables Questions

1. I'm running without a Cat. Should I set my Cam Catalyst Heating table = Base angle tables?
    2. Can anyone explain the cam tables? Are the numbers = degrees? Any why so much variation yet ending up with high rpm, high load numbers much closer to idle than midrange?

1. I would guess yes, but not 100% sure. Watch for low brake vacuum.

2. According to the editor and scanner, these tables are in degrees. From what I can tell these are base cam settings before base timing and modifiers.

3. If you look at a histogram of cam angles, you will find that the numbers no where near match the actual base cam tables. From what I can tell so far, there are some timing factors that come into play that will complicate the situation even more. Just looking at the cam tables by themselves doesn't tell the whole story. If you look at engine load, cam angles, and all timing factors you'll get a better picture. Varying cam timing on two cams gets very complicated real quick.

Concerning the base cam tables and the seemingly strange values, I figure this has more to do with load. i.e. the midrange numbers are in the cruise area, where the high end are obviously going to be for high load, WOT only

I've been looking, logging, and doing a lot of head scratching lately to try and figure out what's going on when and how each variable is affected during various engine conditions. All I can say is, this is complex.

More insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 09-04-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

Advanced Tuner
    If you are not careful on any of the automatics, changing the CATwarmup cam tables can drastically reduce vacuum needed for brake pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO
    If you are not careful on any of the automatics, changing the CATwarmup cam tables can drastically reduce vacuum needed for brake pressure.
    Great point Steve! I didn't think about that and the brakes are troublesome enough already; don't want to make it worse.
    Aaron

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEJON-Dave
    1. I'm running without a Cat. Should I set my Cam Catalyst Heating table = Base angle tables?
    2. Can anyone explain the cam tables? Are the numbers = degrees? Any why so much variation yet ending up with high rpm, high load numbers much closer to idle than midrange?

leave the cam tables for CHT alone, just put the factor table to zero.

to introduce mass flow/overlap at partial throttle openings/above boost threshold.. Done to prevent surging the wheel under cruise.
    Likely also for reduced HC/nox PPM during the drive cycle. (internal EGR)
    Me love boost long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com
    leave the cam tables for CHT alone, just put the factor table to zero.

to introduce mass flow/overlap at partial throttle openings/above boost threshold.. Done to prevent surging the wheel under cruise.
    Likely also for reduced HC/nox PPM during the drive cycle. (internal EGR)

Set both Intake and exhaust CHT factor tables to zero in all cells?

Quote Originally Posted by DEJON-Dave
    Set both Intake and exhaust CHT factor tables to zero in all cells?
    Putting all zero's in the Catalyst Heating Factor table will tell the PCM to use only the main and idle base angle tables.
    Aaron

The real question here, is how can I change said tables to maximize my power with a bigger turbo that isn't bottlenecked, at well above stock RPM levels.(7k, maybe more) The cams are tiny, so where can I gain a few horses?
    2011 Camaro SS. LS3/630rwhp n/a

Anybody else got thoughts on the cam table settings?

Tuner in Training
    Thought I'd bump this thread because I was looking at these tables today wondering..."hmm maybe I can get this thing to shut the hell up during a cold start???"

So I was just wondering if anyone had messed with the Catalyst Heating tables/factors and has seen any changes in the way this thing fires up when it's cold?
    08 Cobalt SS - K&N drop in, Muffler Delete, ZZP 3" catless Downpipe, HPTuned

^^ there is no way to really get the car to quiet down on cold start up since it's in COT warmup and we can't get rid of that table.
    09 VR Cobalt SS

You can dull it down quite a bit tho. If you goto the ECT vs Spark table you will see they advance the timing during startup, which makes no sense to me since advancing will create cooler EGT's. I set that table to 0's below operating temp and it's quite a bit more tame at startup.

^^^^I did the same to get rid of cold start KR since I have to pull out of my driveway and get to 60 before a car comes over the hill. It did calm down the airplane engine cold start sound a bit. Not a lot, but some.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

That initial fire up is much more tame, mine would make my daughter up everyday, now Im able to start up and get out without her waking

single propeller airplane engine sound? yep. I had that with catless on cold start up.
    09 VR Cobalt SS

^Much better now tho right? Not AS bad.

^ no, not as bad. I still wake my gf up if I start it in the garage with the garage door open.
    09 VR Cobalt SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    You can dull it down quite a bit tho. If you goto the ECT vs Spark table you will see they advance the timing during startup, which makes no sense to me since advancing will create cooler EGT's. I set that table to 0's below operating temp and it's quite a bit more tame at startup.
    Interesting I'm going to try that out and I'll post up some results tonight to let everyone know how it goes...maybe I'll even do a before and after video as well if I can find the battery for my camera...

You will def see a difference. And that loudness is for less time as well since the car warms up a lil faster with the added exhaust temp.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    You will def see a difference. And that loudness is for less time as well since the car warms up a lil faster with the added exhaust temp.
    Eh...I honestly didn't notice a difference. If there is one...it's VERY minimal...here's the before/after vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfXVVIPB9E

I wonder if there's anything else that can be changed to make this thing shut up...