Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Drunken ECU Experimentation

Advanced Tuner
    Your boss mentioned he's pulled the 5v signal from the gmpp sensor and connected it straight into the hptuners eio 5v input... why didn't we think of this.
    And gimpster posted a nice 5v chart of the gmpp sensor on the first page so we can scale the sensor properly.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I know he said that... but I KNOW there is a way that we can log it through HPT on the GMPP sensors. I KNOW there is a way.

I will find it, I jst don't even know where to start looking.

I thought logging the sensor through HPT would work, but I am not sure. I wish my car was running, then I would have played with it today to figure it out.

Advanced Tuner
    Unless there's a map voltage pid(there isn't) then i don't see how, but the dam dic easily shows over 22.5psi so it must be getting it from somewhere. Maybe Chris needs to dig deeper for some hidden pids.

Advanced Tuner
    We can't just read the sensor itself? Wouldn't reading the sensor give us anything?

Advanced Tuner
    We can but it only displays upto 22.5psi and then it flat lines, its some kind of limitation in the ecm/pid.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats friggin lame.

That's what I was wondering about in my PM the other day, Matt, when I asked about having to rescale anything to get a correct reading. I can flatline just fine on the stock sensors.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Is there any way we can read the voltage of the map sensor?

Maybe do something like the wideband workaround on the SC. Feed the MAP voltage to another sensor we can read the voltage directly from, and then create a custom PID to calculate the boost from the voltage?

Not a permanent solution, but could help us when we are tuning....

Kevin

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    That's what I was wondering about in my PM the other day, Matt, when I asked about having to rescale anything to get a correct reading. I can flatline just fine on the stock sensors.
    Yeah, there IS a way to do it if the RPD can show it. Just not sure how. I emailed Bill about it, hopefully they add it to their list of things to attend to when the LNF come around again.

And, we are going to play with a few more things on the tune to see if we can't unlock it. Give us time, and we will figure something out.

The possibility to hooking it into another sensor is a possibility, I am not 100% sure how to do that though. I might do some reading on it, and see what I can come up with.

As far as voltage reading, so something like a SPDT switch, so that when the switch is in one position it reads the sensor correctly, and when it is in the other position, it reads from a wire coming off the signal output on the MAP sensor.

On the SC we use the AC pressure sensor. The only downsides to it are when you are using the fan will come on and off, and so will the AC if you have it turned on.

Kevin

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the 5v wire tap sounds like a good idea. why not attach another wire to the 5v signal wire when you install the kit and put a crimpable connector on it. plug a wire into it for tuning and when you dont want it seal it with a small plug and shrink wrap and hide it with the harness.
    quick, easy, clean, and has a way to not corrode from watter damage.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Its too cold out in my garage to do this testing, but I'd be curious which MAP sensor the RPD uses. That would at least narrow down what we/HPT needs to find to log. The RPD just sits in the high speed GMLAN bus like the MPVI does, so its out there somewhere for the taking.

If you're going to the trouble of tapping into the MAP's to log with the EIO, I think I'd just put a 3rd MAP sensor in the engine bay and leave the stock wiring alone. Thats just me though.

You guys ever get anywhere with this?
    2000 NavyBlueMetallic GTP Coupe 14.007 @98.5 - New time coming soon!
    HPTuners / Intercooler / 1.8 SLP Rockers / 3.1" / 180° / TB Shield / FWI / PLOG / Jimmy-C Downpipe / U-Bend Delete / Taurus Fan / Alt. rewire / FP rewire / F-Body Brakes / Buick Strut Braces / SLP Tips / 20% Tint

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac View Post
    You guys ever get anywhere with this?
    Yep. I have this done to my car.

Advanced Tuner
    Me too, works like a charm. Check out these airflow numbers... 41lbs/min?!? Holy...

Last edited by shabby; 04-12-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby View Post
    Me too, works like a charm. Check out these airflow numbers... 41lbs/min?!? Holy...

You have an aftermarket intake? Stock turbo will not flow over 36lbs/min SAE. I have seen as high as 38 lbs/min but that was at cooler temperatures. My VE airflow in 2nd gear is up to 36 lbs/min.
    Last edited by Terminator2; 04-12-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ya i have a full 3" intake with a k&n filter, but the maf is in a 3" intercooler pipe.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby View Post
    Ya i have a full 3" intake with a k&n filter, but the maf is in a 3" intercooler pipe.
    Do you have a screen shot showing the STFT and LTFT during that pull you did?

Advanced Tuner
    They're close to 0 thanks to byt's fuel trim tuning guide
    Here's a recent 3rd gear pull.

Glad it worked out for you guys, been checking back now/then to see the results

FYI Driving a Honda Insight bloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwws.