Thread: Muffler / Resonator Question

Muffler / Resonator Question

My L67 exhaut is LOUD. I would really like to tone it down as quiet as possible, even if it costs some HP.

Currently:
    Cammed motor -> Headers -> off-road pipe -> massive round Magnaflow XL WideOpen truck muffler -> exhaust pipes split, and each head to a Magnaflow WideOpen muffler.

------

The exit mufflers are both about a decade old now and while they still look good, I think I'm going to tank them and buy some new universal mufflers and tips.

------

I really like the sound of Magnaflow, so I'll probably stick with them, just want it quiet.

------

Would adding a resonator between the XL muffler and the outlet mufflers make a big difference? (bigger = quieter?)

Then replace the outlet mufflers with the largest WideOpen ones that will fit?

------

Any advice would be welcome as trial and error is expensive!

Advanced Tuner
    getting an l67 to sound quiet and make power at the same time is soooo hard.

I had a magnaflow muffler on a 3" Hogan catback on my regal daily driver and I hated it.

I swapped to a dynomax with a fast toys split tip muffler and it made a great improvement.

magnaflow is known to be loud and dynomax quieter - generalizing but I heard it enough on other forums that I found a deal on the dynomax w/ tip and it was definately a step in the right direction

I also have a gtp with twin dynomax ultraflows and some single 3" tips that is pretty quiet.

make sure your tips protrude beyond the bumper cover a bit
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    I have a cammed 98 GTP with headers, 3" pipe to 3" high flow cat, through a 3" (6" dia 18" long) Magnaflow muffer as a resonator, 3" pipe to a 2 1/2 Y pipe to 2 Dynomax Super Turbos. My car is loud. My wife can hear me in the neiborhood about 2 minutes before I get home (speed limit is 25) if she's outside or has the windows open.

I have heard that 3" pipe will give you a bad drone, going to 2 1/2 is suppose to help but I don't know this for a fact. This is the only thing that bothers me. The car sounds pretty good outside, but inside it's almost too loud when you're riding with someone and want to carry on a conversation.

make sure your tips protrude beyond the bumper cover a bit
    X2. I need to extend mine a bit
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Andy0x1 View Post
    My L67 exhaut is LOUD. I would really like to tone it down as quiet as possible, even if it costs some HP.

Currently:
    Cammed motor -> Headers -> off-road pipe -> massive round Magnaflow XL WideOpen truck muffler -> exhaust pipes split, and each head to a Magnaflow WideOpen muffler.

------

The exit mufflers are both about a decade old now and while they still look good, I think I'm going to tank them and buy some new universal mufflers and tips.

------

I really like the sound of Magnaflow, so I'll probably stick with them, just want it quiet.

------

Would adding a resonator between the XL muffler and the outlet mufflers make a big difference? (bigger = quieter?)

Then replace the outlet mufflers with the largest WideOpen ones that will fit?

------

Any advice would be welcome as trial and error is expensive!
    one of the nice things about having a converter in is that it quiets things down some without much loss in power.
    your old mufflers might look good but the packing could be burned out depending on brand and what type of packing was used. this would make them loud. just like in the old days of blowing the guts out of the glasspacks.
    magnaflow and flowmaster are the best performance type mufflers. if you like the sound of magnaflow stick with them.
    if you dont like it noisy then cram the largest body muffler you can under it. more volume = less noise. almost no change in flow and quieter is a good thing. in this case bigger is better.
    dynomax makes good mufflers too. the super-turbo is a good one that is between stock and performance type mufflers and is quieter than the magnaflow. if you dont mind the loss of power this might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-98GTP View Post
    I have heard that 3" pipe will give you a bad drone, going to 2 1/2 is suppose to help but I don't know this for a fact. This is the only thing that bothers me. The car sounds pretty good outside, but inside it's almost too loud when you're riding with someone and want to carry on a conversation.
    yes 3" will give you more drone noise than 2 1/2
    magnaflow makes a muffler that is longer 3" in/out 6" dia body 30" length. if i remember right you can fit that one in and it would help with the drone some.

sorry for being so long winded
    hope it helps you out
    06 GTO M6: flowmaster 40 mufflers, x pipe, resonator removed, K&N cold air kit - sold
    08 G8 GT: flowmaster 50SUV mufflers, x pipe, resonators removed, ever changing tune, CAI sometime soon.

Corsa FTW