Thread: STFT leans too much

Tuner in Training

STFT leans too much

im having a problem with idling. its an 02 l61 with stage 1 comp cams and high flow intake, and the cat has been removed along with the resonator right behind it. i just put a new map sensor in it and it made a huge difference. so its a known fact that the old one was causing a problem. im still having a problem at idle. when it sits at idle for a bit the stft leans out and the engine begins to surge and show spikes in the spark advance graph. theres a log that shows it below. frames 450-600 are a perfect example. ull notice that the iat is ~120 deg but it also does it with the engine cold when temps under the hood are cool. the reason for the high temps are that the cone filter is sitting right by the engine. ive also uploaded the tune i used. its my 42nd and has provided the best results out of all of them. ive tried making changes with the ve and the spark advance and nothing. wat do you suggest i change?... thanks in advance.
    2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE/T

2001 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew

Tuner in Training
    oops forgot to add the tune...
    2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Tuner in Training
    bump...
    2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Tuner
    I would recommend running open loop at idle. Specifically, running in PE mode at idle. That way you are running a constant AFR, which would be around 14.6xxx if your car is tuned right.

I posted a screenshot with the post so you can see where the changes can be made.

Change the Delay RPM under Power Enrichment to 0 RPM.
    Change the 1200 RPM cell in the "Power Enrich Enable TPS vs. RPM" table to 0.
    Change the 1200 RPM cell in the "Power Enrich Mult vs. RPM" table to 0.

I am not sure if it would work, though, as the tables that normally would be modified to make this happen go below 1200, and yours does not. I am hopeing that the 1200 RPM cells represent 1200 RPM and below. If it works, your car should idle at a 14.6:1 AFR at 1200 RPM, and below, without the o2 sensor interfering at 1200 rpm or below either.

Tuner in Training
    thats a good idea. im gonna have to try that. i just got my wideband installed and running and i noticed something. everytime the car starts shaking the trims zero and it goes back to the base idle table, i knew this, wat i didnt no is that at base idle its running at ~13.5 afr. interestingly it runs very nice and smoothly that rich. i remembered seeing some1s tune which had 30deg spark advance at idle. so that tells me i got a lot of room for adjustment and shudnt blow anything up so them maybe i just need to do that. if u look at the advance on the log i posted its all over the place. so that may be the solution too right? thanks for your help man
    2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE