Thread: spark tuning

Tuner in Training

spark tuning

Going to be switching to e85 and was wondering if anyone could supply a method for adding in spark. Should I add spark everywhere? only certain parts of the table? If someone could outline a good process for me it would be much appreciated.

Tuner
    MBT tuning on the dyno is the only correct way.

If you don't have access to a dyno, you could perform the following, potentially damaging, method... Increase timing in the areas that you are at when a WOT, unitl you see KR kick in, then decrease the spark in that cell a degree or two, or more fueling to add ignition lead. This is not a great method, sometimes you can overshoot MBT way before you reach any knock, which can be a waste. But if you don't have a dyno, I am not sure of any mothods besides these

Tuner
    Oh, and don't forget to read the plugs after you make a pull. Make sure you at gapped right and have good plugs as well.

Tuner in Training
    On E85 you will not see knock so dont keep raising the timing in hopes to see KR then back it down. It is a great method for pump gas but you will start wasting your rod bearings after a certain point of timing on E85. What car is this on? I am going to assume an lsj judging by your name. If thats the case dont go over 25* or so in the WOT region of your table, and ramp it up to 25, dont just flatline the table

Tuner
    Good point. Thats why the non-dyno method sucks if your not used tuning spark with E85.

max a lsj should run is 25 degrees timing.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for all your help roderick ; )