Thread: Problems with vats after tune

Tuner in Training

Problems with vats after tune

I searched the forum for a topic that would shed light on my issue, but found none quite like mine.. so here it goes...

A week ago I performed a MAF tune on my car, nothing more. After the driving and such and uploading the tune, my car would start, run for 2-3 seconds and die. Security light is blinking non stop. I tired loading a stock bin and it did the same thing as above. So I wrote my entire original tune back into my car, this time when trying to start it wouldnt even turn over, like the battery was dead(heard the lock-unlock like when battery gets unplugged) I read the battery with a DMM, the voltage was 11.6 V

So my next step was to jump my car, with the original tune still wrote to the pcm, this time it started and ran fine, I took it for a drive and then turned it off. Again it started fine, there has been no issues except the security light will not turn off... I have tried relinking vats, that did not work, I have also tried relearning my PK3 key, this also did not work.. My next step may be to just bypass VATS all together..

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance..

I had nearly the same thing two years ago. Long story short, I did the key learn four times before I got it to take. Fixed the security light though.
    Last edited by passingpower; 07-27-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tuner in Training
    Alright thanks for the post, i will just have to have more patience and do this key relearn a few more times...

I've found the proceedure to be very fickle. To make matters worse, many published proceedures omit some critical detail. this is the one that worked for me:

=== Relearning the Master Key's code ===
    Set parking brake to turn off headlights and reduce battery run-down.
    Using the Key with the characters PK3 M (M stands for Master Key).
    Insert Key into ignition and turn to Run position (do not start car).
    Security light will blink for 10 minutes.
    When it stops blinking, turn key back one click (dash lights will go off).
    Within 2 seconds, turn key forward to Run position.
    (This procedure is repeted 2 more times, for a total of 30 minutes)
    After the third time, turn the Key to Off and remove the key from the
    ignition.
    Re-Insert the master Key into Ignition and start the car.
    The Security light should go out after a few seconds.
    (If light stays on, you messed up the procedure, try again)
    Last edited by passingpower; 07-28-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added battery comment

Tuner in Training
    This worked perfectly... no more flashing light!!!

Thanks man..