Thread: PCM and 4l60E Stumped!

Potential Tuner

Unhappy PCM and 4l60E Stumped!

5.3 and 4l60E swapped into an 86 4x4. I had the 4l60E fully rebuilt, complete harness computer and fuse box out of a 2002 silverado 4x4. I added an aftermarket VSS and reser the PPM count with HP Tuners.

Started on the first turn, fired up HP tuners deleted the VATS, motor runs great, EVAP not plumbed so the EVAP DTC's come on, disabled them. Wired in fused power for the TCC switch and the solenoids, all rings out point to point correct. Verified per the GM manual the pressure switch and range switch inputs are hi or low at the PCM C1 and C2 connectors correctly. On jack stands I can use HP Tuners to command 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and confirm TCC lockup correctly works up and back down all day long.

This is where I am stumped, put the truck on the ground and it will start in 4th gear in the drive position, manually it will go to 3rd, 2nd but not 1st?

Drove the truck manually to have an enging pipe installed and to the trans shop for a look 5 miles down the road, no DTC's for the transmission come up after the drive, and the transmission shop put their TRANS-X simulator on the transmission and say the trans is fine look elsewhere?

I wish more status bits were available to see if the PCM see the range and pressure switch inputs, what have I missed????

Senior Tuner
    What do you see for trans current gear in the scanner? Does it
    say 4 when you think it's in 4? If so then I'd look to the shift
    tables, the reported MPH and TPS readings.

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up Back to Basics!

Jimmyblue,
    After I reviewed a pile of posts yesterday morning in I added more PID's to the list which allowed me to add current gear and the PRNDL status to the gauge cluster. Then while I was composing my post thinking of what I did?????

After work, I loaded the orginal GM stock file in the PCM and only deleted the VATS, with the brake on and my additional gauge displays I confirmed the requested gear and current gear tracked.

Apparently when I went into speedometer calibration the first time using HP Tuners I failed to edit the transmission PPR which in the end was off by a factor of 10. I carfully worked out the tire size, gear ratio and new inline VSS sensor PPM and well after a week of most thinking I had a bad PCM the transmission shifts great and I gained some HP Tuners experience.
    Thanks for the reply!

Potential Tuner
    hi
    i was woundering where did you get the vss from and what brand because im doing the same swap on a 84 blazer 4x4 and have to shift it manually thanks