Thread: Help with Heads/Cam LS1 GTO....

Exclamation Help with Heads/Cam LS1 GTO....

Just needing a little help with this tune? My buddy has a 2004 GTO LS1 and has TSP 5.3 heads, cam is a Comp 230/234 on a 112. Has an LS6 intake and Pacesetter LT's. It's a M6 and it hangs a little when you push the clutch in when coming to a stop. Everything was fine when it was a cam only car. We just put the heads on and now I tried tuning it and it just don't seem like it runs that much better. I am just needing someone to look at it and give me some pointers.

With hanging idle it is probably throttle cracker or idle airflow, at least I would start checking there.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Ok. Thanks man. I have the idle fixed now. Although, it just don't feel like it pulls like it should. He don't have a wideband. I have one in my car and I'm thinking about pulling it out and using it on his. Only problem is that he only has his front two o2's. Where would I put the O2?

Oh, forgot to add, while we were out driving it around trying to fix the VE, a buddy pulled up beside us on the interstate. So I stopped and saved what we had soo far. (Buddies car is a 99 Z28 M6 with headers, LS6 intake, ported TB, and a tune that I did for him. Car dyno'd like 366). Both did a 2nd punch. The Z28 was out 2 full cars by 4th gear. Is the stock throttle body and the 1 3/4" headers on the GTO hurting him?

Advanced Tuner
    It's a GTO. HP for HP, it'll be slower than a fbody. Just sayin. 2 cars does seem a bit excessive though.
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

Quote Originally Posted by c.u View Post
    #1 set up the fuel systems inj-pump. #2 get a wideband. #3 retune ve-lowmaf then high maf.
    Any write-ups on this?

Is a fuel pump really needed?

Advanced Tuner
    You don't need a fuel pump. And 04 GTO's don't have a high/low MAF frequency table.

How much base running airflow are you commanding? I can't open your file on this computer. That cam shouldn't need more than about 3-4g of base running air flow. Any more than that is too much IMO. I'd also zero out your throttle cracker table completely if it's an M6 car. Check and make sure your decay tables are stock. Messing with decay can cause hanging if you get too excessive with it.