Thread: Big cam drivability (ls3)

Big cam drivability (ls3)

Looking for some clue as to where to start to make a big(ger) cam idle decently on an ls3 for a few days until I can get to a tuner. It's the TSP 231/236 111 (intake, long tubes, pulley, etc). If anyone has a tune they'd be willing to share, and point me in the direction of the tables I need to fiddle with to get it to run decent til I can get it to a real tuner, let me know. It'd be appreciated!
    2011 Camaro SS. LS3/630rwhp n/a

Tuner
    M6 or A6?

You may have fun on this one, your best bet is to find a tuner that is skilled in the virtual VE tuning. Otherwise, best bet is to run MAF-only and modify the MAF tables. Big cams tend to need less fuel at low RPM, so taking a bit of fuel out and raising idle maybe 100 RPM if it's problematic. No need to jack idle way up, I've tuned much bigger cams to idle at 650 with no special tricks. You also might have to raise base running airflow a smidge if it tries to die or stumbles off idle.

Beyond that, it's really hard to tell you what to do, but do you have a wideband and know how to hook it up and all?

Bump your idle, throw in some startup airflow and minimum idle airflow, and it'll probably be enough that you can drive it. Force it into pure MAF for now, too.

Set your idle for good vacuum though... don't try to be a bad ass and make the car lope like mad. You can make them idle down low, but your brake pedal will feel like crap.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    ... don't try to be a bad ass and make the car lope like mad.
    Quote of the day.
    Jaime

narrow the idle spark control too.

So less fuel, spark at idle and more idle speed. Sounds easy enough.

M6 btw

Alright, it runs pretty good, and idles fine once it finds idle and when driving. The issue I have now is it doesnt want to find idle on initial crankup, and shortly afterwards coming off of throttle. Car cranks up to normal cranking rpm (2000-2400) then either dies, or goes down to say, 300 rpm, sort of fires, and dies. Sometimes it takes a good bit of work to get it to find idle. What can I do to help mitigate this.

That sounds more or less like a Minimum Idle and Startup Minimum Airflow issue. For Startup Airflow you may want to raise the value, and Minimum Idle, lower it, unless of course your timing has been otherwise ravaged by gnomes in those certain areas.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

So minimum idle being lower helps idle? I raised it thinking the computer would make an effort to keep idle above that number. Perhaps I've been working against myself.

As you raise these values the computer thinks to itself that it needs more incoming air volume in order to run, then In turn the engine will idle higher and be a stickler to close the throttle body return to the actual idle, and this works vice versa as well should your values be too low.. Does that answer your question? I'm still waking up but I do believe I wrote that correctly.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 10-06-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap