Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idle, Throttle Follower, and Throttle Cracker

Load this cfg file.

If you have an IAC car, you need to get the IAC into the 40-75ish range at hot idle before doing this. The following table will be built around the airflow that we allow past the throttle blade, both through the hole and around the edge (and also any LEAKS you may have).

Start the car up dead cold and start logging. During warmup, do not touch the gas pedal or use the AC or defrost, do not turn the wheel, and force your fans off in your scanner. Let the car get up to about 220 or as high as it will go. Save the log. In the histo number 1 or two, you will get the values that you need to populate your idle airflow table. If you have an auto trans, do it a second time putting the car into drive and letting it warm up in gear. I usually rough in the RAF up front, do this in closed loop in the beginning, and come back to it after the VE and MAF are done and do it again.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you. I found that histo on the config file I have been using not sure if its there by default or it was put there by the person who sold me the tune and config file. I will use the config file you just posted and set the table accordingly.

Advanced Tuner
    you have an IAC car, you need to get the IAC into the 40-75ish range at hot idle before doing this.

Start the car up dead cold and start logging

I'm a bit confused by this?

I'll follow the second paragraph and see what I get.

No, you MUST get the IAC into range first (it says before logging in the post)... Obviously you can't do all of this at once. You get the IAC setup and then do idle airflow logging from cold start.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Ah, ok sorry this is all very very new to me. I'll do some searching on setting up the IAC. I paid $200 to someone to help me with this and haven't heard back since the base tune and config file so I'm doing it myself. Not sure what kind of follow up I should have expected but I would have thought a tweak or two or at least some instructions.. but nada

Steve I wish I had gone to you first and I will be buying your dual flash ecm from another car so all is not for not.
    Last edited by 79 z28; 10-01-2010 at 03:27 PM.

I wouldn't expect much for $200 for a tune
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post

Dooope knew I should have charged more

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, looked through the log files and the IAC is between the numbers, it ranges from 64-74.

re-did the table and tested it, looks like its till just a little rich but at least its consistent and reading for the most part pretty darn close to 14.4

65 14.5
    70 13.9
    75 13.6
    80 13.4
    85 14.1
    90 14.5

Not sure if I should be chasing it to be perfect all the time, is it possible with a 247/263 115 lsa cam ?

Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    Ok, looked through the log files and the IAC is between the numbers, it ranges from 64-74.

re-did the table and tested it, looks like its till just a little rich but at least its consistent and reading for the most part pretty darn close to 14.4

65 14.5
    70 13.9
    75 13.6
    80 13.4
    85 14.1
    90 14.5

Not sure if I should be chasing it to be perfect all the time, is it possible with a 247/263 115 lsa cam ?

set your table display up like in the picture posted below, add a custom pid as follows.

(Idle desired airflow/dynamic airflow)*iac position

Lable it IAC Corrected save it, load the attached histograms in 9,10,11,12

log idle without tuching the gas, find the iac table in the editor and copy the corrected iac counts to the editor. the top row of the histogram table is the iac count in use in the bottom of the editor iac table. this will change your iac counts to were they should need to be.
    Last edited by Google; 04-24-2011 at 08:37 AM.

ps: then you will need to retune ve

Advanced Tuner
    IAC steps vs effective area?

IAC steps vs effective area?

yes

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    set your table display up like in the picture posted below, add a custom pid as follows.

(Idle desired airflow/dynamic airflow)*iac position

Lable it IAC Corrected save it, load the attached histograms in 9,10,11,12

log idle without tuching the gas, find the iac table in the editor and copy the corrected iac counts to the editor. the top row of the histogram table is the iac count in use in the bottom of the editor iac table. this will change your iac counts to were they should need to be.

Ok, NOW I know who you are... I knew you'd be back with another screen name before long too

I'm not saying that there is nothing here, but I have managed to make an enormous amount of cammed and aftermarket throttle bodies behave as expected without getting any such process. Dynamic Airflow is based on user constants; mainly the IFR and MAF (or VE here and there). If there is any error there (and there WILL be), you will be spreading it into new territory. I know you had this debate before and you deleted all of your posts and left and my argument is still the same; these units don't seem to have the relationship that you are trying to ascribe to them. The most obvious question is that if they DID have that relationship, why is the airflow around the blade and through it's hole completely thrown out? Airflow through the IAC is not a match for dynamic airflow and they don't appear as they should be. Not all of the airflow at idle comes through the IAC. This system (IAC airflow) and the other (Dyn air) are separate.

At any rate, welcome back.

ps: then you will need to retune ve
    And this will change dynamic airflow...
    Last edited by Frost; 10-03-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo; x2, clarity
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post
    I send out multiple base files (MAF, SD, and CLMAF for driving) along with cfg files and instructions on how to log as well as 3 updates for this amount of $ to people that already own their own software.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I send out multiple base files (MAF, SD, and CLMAF for driving) along with cfg files and instructions on how to log as well as 3 updates for this amount of $ to people that already own their own software.
    point taken, I just feel ripped after what I know now. I paid way too much for a mail order tune a couple years ago. it's a buyer beware "whom" you buy from.

remember, google is your friend
    Last edited by printmanjackson; 10-02-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Ok, NOW I know who you are... I knew you'd be back with another screen name before long too

I'm not saying that there is nothing here, but I have managed to make an enormous amount of cammed and aftermarket throttle bodies behave as expected without getting any such process. Dynamic Airflow is based on user constants; mainly the IFR and MAF (or VE here and there). If there is any error there (and there WILL be), you will be spreading it into new territory. I know you had this debate before and you deleted all of your posts and left and my argument is still the same; these units don't seem to have the relationship that you are trying to ascribe to them. The most obvious question is that if they DID have that relationship, why is the airflow around the blade and through it's hole completely thrown out? Airflow through the IAC is not a match for dynamic airflow and they don't appear as they should be. Not all of the airflow at idle comes through the IAC. Maybe I am being assumptive here, but that's what pops out immediately.

At any rate, welcome back.

And this will change dynamic airflow...
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31442

Thanks Frost, nice to be back.

Advanced Tuner
    why do the histo's have red asterisks?

why do the histo's have red asterisks?
    Because they are custom histograms.

Because they are custom histograms.
    actually its because they have filters being used....
    perhaps a [sens.111]>0 for timing retard as an example
    -Scott -