Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning? Step inside

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    INTHERED
    Try this one, I made some changes to the EMAIL tune. Put your car in open loop and get the afr to match the commanded afr (11.75 afr in pe) and 14.68 when not in pe. Use the maf afr % error histogram to rescale the maf table. After you get the afr right, enable closed loop, the air pump and DFCO.
    What are you going to do with those stock trans pressure settings? Did you install a shift kit? Let me know if you need my maf tuning config file.
    Russ Kemp
    Russ

I took a look at the tune you made for me. Man you put a lot of work into
    the tune. I would like to return the favor I have a lot of C5 parts laying
    around my garage just collecting dust. Do ya need anything like a used TB,
    MAF, Calipers, Injectors, Fuel Rail, Intake, Alternator etc. etc. ?

One quick question in the tune you changed the PE enable from 15kpa to 75kpa
    is this a permanent change or should I change it back after tuning ?

INTHERED
    Last edited by INTHERED; 10-30-2006 at 12:04 PM.
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    INTHERED
    Try this one, I made some changes to the EMAIL tune. Put your car in open loop and get the afr to match the commanded afr (11.75 afr in pe) and 14.68 when not in pe. Use the maf afr % error histogram to rescale the maf table. After you get the afr right, enable closed loop, the air pump and DFCO.
    What are you going to do with those stock trans pressure settings? Did you install a shift kit? Let me know if you need my maf tuning config file.
    Russ Kemp
    Russ

The tuning processes in this thread say to drive gently to stay out of PE and
    turn off the DFCO etc etc. I was reading something somewhere that PE, decel
    , dfco, purge and a couple of other things get their fuel trims put into cells
    19, 20, 21, 22 or something like that. Bear with me I hav'nt been tuning very
    long. If I used the filter [PID.6310]<16 in the LTFT vs VE Histogram only the
    fuel trim cells 0 thru 15 would be included in the Histogram display data. So
    basically I could drive fairly normal and not worry about hitting PE since I can
    filter it out. Does this make sense or have I made a mistake somewhere ?

INTHERED
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

Potential Tuner
    Hey all this is my first post, glad to see someone has worked thing out, i have a 07 chevy rst/silverado with the 5.3/ headers manganson s/c running a 3.1 pully headers, i have looked every where for info on tuning this is the spot could someone look at my file, it seems i have a problem running lean i have a good hole shot but maybe there is a problem with pe table i can only run 14 sec in the 1/4

[email protected]
    milford, delaware

Just to make sure I understand this...

I have wideband on my LS2 vehicle.

I disconnected the MAF and drove around quite a bit. I saved a tune with VE changes based on LTFTs.

Later on I was reading that it's more accurate to use wideband. So I redid it and saved a tune based on that.

When I made the edits with LTFT (histogram 2) I ADDED the LTFT numbers (max was -7) to the VE table.

When I made edits using the WideBand (histogram 6) I multiplied the WB numbers in the VE table.

Seems like quite a difference between methods.

Below is 3 charts. VE table after LTFT method, VE after WB method and the final one shows the difference between the two.

Does this sound right?

Either way you use Paste Special Multipy. That's why you saw very little difference with the "add" function and a lot with the Paste Special Multiply. Adding 7 to 2356 is not the same as adding 7% of 2356 to 2356.
    Always Support Our Troops!

That makes PERFECT sense after you said it.

But doesnt this "sticky" say otherwise?

Richen this cell by increasing the VE table value by the amount of the LTFT value. The operation is opposite for negative LTFT's.

If LTFT = (4), VE cell value is 67, result would be (67)+(4)=71 - increasing the VE, which is adding fuel.

If the LTFT was (-4), the result would be (67)+(-4)=63, decreasing VE and thus reducing fuel.

Rich

That is "A" way of getting the VE in line rapidly. Use the Multiply so you don't over/undershoot. With the TBSS having the LS2 style VE it's a requirement.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    That is "A" way of getting the VE in line rapidly. Use the Multiply so you don't over/undershoot. With the TBSS having the LS2 style VE it's a requirement.
    I need to go back a couple of tunes because I think I am going in wrong direction. I have LTs of + five now instead of negatives. Not to mention my 400 RPM row of fuel cells is in high negatives. Not sure why I am even hitting the 400 RPM row. Must be fat when I roll off.

I had negative fuel trims and must have done something wrong.

I logged and then went to the VE primary table and did a multiply % of the wideband error I got from the scanner. Now I am positive LTs

Attached is last scan

EDIT...After sending this I just realized I need to be out of closed loop if I am going to do WB. I would have been better off using LTFTs to adjust?
    Last edited by rrmccabe; 08-09-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Tuner
    Wow some useful stuff. Thanks guys

Tuner in Training ledfootC6vette's Avatar

Newbie with 09 Sierra VMax & '06 Vette C6 A6

Hi, this is great info man! I noticed that this thread is from '04-'07,so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind updating this procedure for an '09 sierra VMax pickup, or is it t still the same? or, if you have a link you could post to a thread so I can read that,I would appreciate it.

thanks & regards,

JR

I have a few questions. Right now I am trying to tune VE with AFR error. I have it in open loop at all times. So STFT/LTFT aren't logging at all, That's fine right? Also my AFR error is way off. Most the time it's -15%. Sound normal?

My main question is, should I paste special the error percentage into my secondary ve main like I did with the primary too?
    Last edited by 12sws27; 09-13-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Momentary retardation....
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.

I have another question. I read many say tuning transient fuel should come after VE/MAF tuning. But what if transient fuels is so of that it messes with the AFR error percentages?

I'm tuning a 98 GM truck that used to have the poppet GM injectors. Now it has a real MPFI intake with larger injectors. Plenum volume has increased and the injectors positions have changed. So I get real lean tip-in and real rich decel. DFCO is disabled.
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.

Nobody?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sws27 View Post
    I have a few questions. Right now I am trying to tune VE with AFR error. I have it in open loop at all times. So STFT/LTFT aren't logging at all, That's fine right? Also my AFR error is way off. Most the time it's -15%. Sound normal?

My main question is, should I paste special the error percentage into my secondary ve main like I did with the primary too?
    Yes its ok that your stft and ltft are off (the way its supposed to me when tuning ve) just keep a eye on the afr and keep it below 4k till you can get it dialed in. 15% sounds about right for a start. In fact some ppl on here fun with both stft AND ltft's OFF but they have their VE table tuned 110% perfect. I plan to run only with my STFT's and disable the LTFT's after I finish dialing in my VE and MAF.
    2015 Yukon SLT 5.3

Tuner in Training
    good info!

Tuner

E-85 with no tune, street, Expressway etc

Hi guys
    I like to post my data loggs of E-85 and get some tuning points
    on...
    1. stoich
    2. fuel trims
    3. timing
    My truck is a 2008 TBSS AWD Cat back w duals, K@N up front
    Last edited by Mr. 2008 SS; 04-06-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Tuner in Training
    After I fail the maf and copy the high octane table to the low octane table do I do a write calibration to the vcm?
    Last edited by JPerk08; 04-18-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Potential Tuner
    on torque abuse mode "Enabled" click it to Disabled correct?

Potential Tuner
    I had my 98 M6 tuned in Arkansas and he did pretty much everything. I recently added Pacesetter LTs w/ORY and no longer have the rear O2 sensors hooked up. I have the HP Pro kit and a AEM UEGO wideband kit. What all do i really need to do to get the most hp and torque out of my car the way its setup now?

It this dated info still applicable

While reading everything I can find, I found this post from 2004. Is this data still applicable or has the wheel been re-created?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
    Mod edit for updates:

HPT files go here to search for other user files!

Some helpful links

Thank you to the original poster but now this info is over a year old and we have new info to help us even more

DISABLE ALL TORQUE MANAGEMENT

Your a hardcore racer now why do you need a computer to tell you how much power you can have.

1: Open your editor, go to Edit&gt;Transmission&gt;Torque Management.
    2: Set Abuse Mode Enable False
    3: Set Abuse Mode RPM, Abuse Mode TPS and Abuse Mode Speed to 0
    4: click over on Abuse Mode Torque Reduction vs RPM. I am referring to An A4 camaro SS here so dunno about anyone else. Set all values in Normal to 0.
    5: You should now have NO TORQUE MANAGEMENT.

160 or 180* FAN CONTROL SETTINGS largely depend on your location. Cooler climates can get away with colder fan settings while hotter climates may need to raise their set temps. 160* stat may need high 170's to low 180's on temps while the 180* stat may need mid 180's to mid 190's.

IDLE TUNING

Some good things to scan:

LTIT (p/n, in gear depending on transmission and which settings you are looking to change)
    STIT
    RPM
    Spark
    ECT
    MAP

just to name a few...

Idle desired RPM: Depending on the cam and transmission type will effect your RPM settings. The reason for increasing RPM is to smooth out the idle and help drivability. Raising the idle results in more manifold vacuum. After doing a cam you lose a decent amount of vacuum. For cams in the 210-230 duration range 50-100 rpm over stock works well, 230-240 range 75-150 rpm over stock will work well. Too high of RPM settings may max out your IAC motor on cold start, to stay out of that range, keep the cold start idle so the IAC motor will not be close to 310 steps.

Idle airflow: Log the STIT and LTIT and add the 2 together. With a manual you will use LTIT in gear all the time, autos will use the respective LTIT depedning on the gear selector position. Add the 2 values together (or make a custom histogram) and make chagnes based on ECT. Say 30*C STIT is -0.30 g/sec and LTIT is 0.10 g/sec, you want to subract 0.20 g/sec from the 30*C cell in the idle airflow table. It is important to make these changes only from a cold start as they will give the most accurate data. Make sure it is logging and you make corrections in metric as it adds better resolution. For starters, adding 2 g/sec to the table before initial start up after a cam can help idle.

VE table for cam: Since a cam is less efficent at idle (for the majority of the aftermarket cam world) the VE table will need to be scaled down in the inital tune to keep some fueling out. Small cams may only need 10% taken out while larger cams can have upwards of 40% taken out of the VE table. This is largely dependent on your cam.

Timing: This depends largely on the cam type. Cams in the 220 duration range can run well on 22-26* of timing, 230 range tend to run well 26-30* range and above that is trial and error as some cams may like 32* while others like 24*. See which helps your car idle the smoothest. I would recommend ADDING to the stock table and not altering the stock curve.

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control and the idle air is in a reasonable range (0.10-0.20 g/sec) you may need to slightly reduce the throttle cracker table. That table adds airflow while you are cruising and too much will keep the rpms from reducing.

LTFT (VE) TUNING

1: Unplug MAF only if the MAF does NOT contain the IAT. If it does leave it plugged in.
    2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES! Copy your high octane table to your low octane table since in SD the low octane table is used.
    3: Start up your scanner. Start up your histogram. Now, click File then connect. Go to tools then VCM Controls. Reset Fuel Trims.
    4: Drive around for a good 30 minutes after the car is hot trying to hit as many cells as possible and multiple times. It is good practice to set the minimum cell count to at least 25 for more accurate data. The best way to do this is with a wideband o2 but can be done with fuel trims. Doing it with fuel trims can be inaccurate as once PE mode is in effect readings will become off. Setting the PE enable to 75 kPa doing the fuel trim approach will help get more accurate data, above 75 kPa will not be accurate much at all, the wideband is the best method.
    5a: Fuel trim approach: Let's say at .800, .28 which is equivalent to 800 RPM's you have 4 which is equal to +4. For ALL YOUR TRIMS you want between 0 and -4, so what I do is do whatever it takes to get to zero. Easy rule of thumb here if you want number smaller, add you want number bigger subtract. So, we want to bring that DOWN to 0 so ADD 4 to .800, .28. Let's say 2.0, .20 is -10, SUBTRACT 10 from 2.0, .20 to bring it UP to 0. This will not work out exactly but will get your PRETTY CLOSE. Do this for all values until everything is between -3 and -5, this will ensure when you go WOT that you will not carry over false positive fuel trims and effect WOT fueling.
    5b: wideband approach: log your AFR error, right click on the VE table in the upper left corner, then go to paste special then multiply by %, that was easy wasnt it?
    6: Repeat steps 3-5 until ALL values are between 0 and -4. Try and do this all in same day for best results.

ELIMINATING KNOCK RETARD:
    Knock retard can come from too much timing, not enough fuel, or way too much fuel. Using a wideband to set up the PE tables accurately to your desired settings can help narrow this to one of the 3 if it is not false knock you are seeing.

A4 TRANSMISSION SETTINGS:
    1: Well, you should have already disabled torque management.
    2: Start at Edit&gt;Engine&gt;A4 Shift Speed. Look under WOT Shift Enable %TPS: Set it at whatever you like. I set down to 90% because when I floor it I want power quick. Your talkin ga few milliseconds to go from 90 to stock 95% right, LOL.
    3: Disable %TPS Set this to about 10 lower from your Enable.
    4: Look at WOT Shift RPM vs. Shift. For my STOCK camaro I set to 6000 rpm, cuz if you look at my dyno, it is dropping after 6000rpm so I figured just have it change at 6k. After 6krpm it will take a few hundred more anyways to shift.
    5: WOT Shift Speed vs. Shift--In an A4 here is a formula I pulled off ls1tech.com make sure to thank 99ssleeper over there. He posted this:
    MPH =
    (RPM x Loaded Radius of the real wheel) divided by
    (Tranny Gear Ratio x Final Gear Ratio x 168.06

If you have stock wheels and tires, the Loaded Radius is approximately 13.125&quot;...otherwise just measure from the ground to the center of the wheel.

A4 Trans Ratios are
    1st..3.06
    2nd..1.62
    3rd..1.0
    4th.. .8

Fianl Gear ratios are 2.73s or the optional 3.23s (RPO GU5 I think...??).
    6: Shift Speed vs. %TPS vs. Shift. LEAVE AT STOCK

7: MOVE TO SHIFT PROPERTIES TAB
    8: Look at Desired Shift Time. Click on Normal FORGET about performance if you are driving a camaro. There is no performance in a camaro, LOL. I basically guessed here, and could use some input here. For the first half of
    the torque band, I set shift time to .500 so you get nice soft, smooth shifts. Starting about midway, I decreased to .250 and for last 1/4 I changed to .100. I heard you do not want to go below .100 or else you will run into some kind of gear crossing? Please feel free to fill in here.
    9: Shift Pressure-Ok this is kind of weird and don't understand it, but what I PERSONALLY did was again take half of chart and to the left. Take this and set to a LOW # like 10. I have a shift kit in my car, and setting first half gives me nice smooth shifts. You would never know I had a shift kit or torque converter in my car. I then took middle and started beefing up shifts in increments of 10 then increments of 15. By far right of table I have shift pressure up to 90. Now, when you drive my car at 0-1/4 throttle it is SMOOTH. 1/2 throttle, you can feel a nice crisp shift. WOT it chirps tires from 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. NICE and hard.
    10: Upshift/Downshift pressure I don't understand. If you do, teach me and I'll update.
    11: If you have a shift kit, leave max line pressure at 90. If not you can prob. up to 100.
    12: Below, courteousy of Blue_Falcon

If you don't want your torque converter to lockup in x gear, just go under TCC apply in x gear and change all of the values to 256.
    13: Transmission tuning DONE.

TURNING OFF REAR O2 SENSORS:
    Thank you Keith, HP TUNERS

You'll want to go through the DTC list and find all sensors of both bank 1 and bank 1 that are labeled as Sensor 2.. Sensor 2 indicated the rear sensor (on V8 applications).

You will want to leave the DTC On/Off flag as it is, but will want to set the error mode to &quot;No Error Reported&quot;.

CHANGE TUNE FROM AUTO TO MANUAL OR VICE VERSA:

1) Get tune from Bin file repository or somewhere. Copy out of someone with same year car as you if you like.
    2) Upload file just as though you would any other file.
    3) Enjoy you now have a M6/A4 program.

Now is time to optimize safety and fuel economy. I'm gathering together some ideas, so if you have some please post here, or email me or instant message me thanks.
    2005 MagnaCharged Chevy SSR LS2 6.0