Thread: 1-2 Gear Change

Tuner in Training

1-2 Gear Change

I installed a TransGo shift kit and the 1-2 shift is really firm. What can I do to lower the firmness on just this shift?

Thank you

Thread would probably be answered sooner in the Transmission Tuning forum.

How many washers (if any) were installed when the shift kit was done? Was the separator plate drilled out the most you can? When I had mine setup for full race it was possible to get low throttle shifts to be smoothed out a bit but wide open was always a bang and scratch of the tires.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
    Thread would probably be answered sooner in the Transmission Tuning forum.

How many washers (if any) were installed when the shift kit was done? Was the separator plate drilled out the most you can? When I had mine setup for full race it was possible to get low throttle shifts to be smoothed out a bit but wide open was always a bang and scratch of the tires.
    I used 2 washers but don't want to take one out to fix the problem. Because I didn't put 3 washers in I didn't drill out the plate to full race sizes. Anything over 1/4 throttle causes this firm shift. It feels like someone is running into the back of me.

Quote Originally Posted by EscaladePatrick View Post
    I installed a TransGo shift kit and the 1-2 shift is really firm. What can I do to lower the firmness on just this shift?

Thank you
    Take a washer out of the 1-2 accum. housing. You could lower the shift pressure in the pcm, I would not do that but some might.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Take a washer out of the 1-2 accum. housing. You could lower the shift pressure in the pcm, I would not do that but some might.
    Is there really no other way?

Tuner in Training
    Is there really no other way?
    Google is right... IMO a shift kit, is a mechanical increase in pressure and efficiency (least in the case you explain) so to fix your issue correctly id remove 1 washer. At least that way you have a better range to adjust, if 2 washers are too much.

post your current tune, maybe the pressure was modified before the shift kit and this would also cause harder shifts.

The best "correct" way to fix it is to remove a washer from the 1-2 accumulator. Most people think that the 1-2 shift is too harsh with just 1 or no washers in it. I ran mine at full race because I knew that every time it shifted into second it wasn't going to slip no matter what. Never had a problem even with a tight converter. Only thing that sucks is when you drive someone (women especially) around in your vehicle that has no idea what a built trans is it's hard to explain how the hard shift is good lol
    '20 AT4

The best "correct" way to fix it is to remove a washer from the 1-2 accumulator. Most people think that the 1-2 shift is too harsh with just 1 or no washers in it. I ran mine at full race because I knew that every time it shifted into second it wasn't going to slip no matter what. Never had a problem even with a tight converter. Only thing that sucks is when you drive someone (women especially) around in your vehicle that has no idea what a built trans is it's hard to explain how the hard shift is good lol
    I would agree if the shift pressure is stock. I also agree to warn passengers (signed wavier) of the possiblity of neck breakage when the trans shifts.

I have the 3 shims and race holes drilled but I adjusted pressure to make it hook when hitting second and third gears. Shift times also help a bit.

I would agree if the shift pressure is stock. I also agree to warn passengers (signed wavier) of the possiblity of neck breakage when the trans shifts.

I have the 3 shims and race holes drilled but I adjusted pressure to make it hook when hitting second and third gears. Shift times also help a bit.
    I did notice that if I set the shift time to 0 it would do some funky stuff, but when set to .001 it would shift the same as .3 or even .4
    '20 AT4

I did notice that if I set the shift time to 0 it would do some funky stuff, but when set to .001 it would shift the same as .3 or even .4
    The kit gives a faster release of pressure don't it. When I first compleated my kit and drove it, it shifted so fast I could not feel it. It only took .120 of a second to shift it, no lag at all just shift-go. Took a few min to get it working right.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, if you have ever had the PCM tuned check the shift pressures to make sure they are stock. Pressures upped in the tune and the trans make it too harsh.

Tuner in Training
    post your current tune, maybe the pressure was modified before the shift kit and this would also cause harder shifts.
    I tuned my truck 1 week after the shift kit install and the firmness was unchanged.

Thank you.

Tuner in Training

What do you mean "make it hook"?

Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    My 1-2 shift time is .2

Thank you.

Post your stock & modified tunes, and I'll fix your harsh 1-2 shift. Had a customer with a 4L65E trans that also had the Trans Go stage I (HD) shift kit installed. Even the light throttle 1-2 was too harsh. Adjusted the 1-2 shift pressure in normal & tow haul, no more harsh 1-2 shifts.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    The kit gives a faster release of pressure don't it. When I first compleated my kit and drove it, it shifted so fast I could not feel it. It only took .120 of a second to shift it, no lag at all just shift-go. Took a few min to get it working right.
    The first time I drove after I installed the kit I didn't notice the firmness. It slowly got worse or the next couple of drives. After tuning my truck nothing changed. What did you do to get it working right?

Thank you.

What do you mean "make it hook"?

Thank you.

To keep the tires from spinning, yet shift as fast as possible. Faster shifts = hard shifts.

The first time I drove after I installed the kit I didn't notice the firmness. It slowly got worse or the next couple of drives. After tuning my truck nothing changed. What did you do to get it working right?

Thank you.

I adjusted shift times and upshift pressure. when adjusting upshift pressure increasing the value makes it shift harder.