Thread: New to HP tuners and need stall tuning advice

Tuner in Training

New to HP tuners and need stall tuning advice

Hey guys I need some transmission tuning advice on my a4 2001 z28. The stall is about a 3400 rpm . I copied some of the tables from a tune I saw in the depository but the car I believed had a shift kit and mine does not .... I do not know much about tuning for a car with a convertor and it still just doesn't feel right .... Any advice is appreciated so please look at my attatched tune
    Thanks

I cant see your attached file cause im at work. A few basic things you should do...

- set TCC duty cycle min/max to 98 or 99
    - raise lockup mph in 4th (I would also disable third gear lockup) if your just bolt ons I would set it to 40mph
    - P0757 and P0751 are false codes that may be set with your stall (some never see them, I did) delete them if they pop up
    - Raise part throttle shift points slightly
    - increase misfire tables
    - lower apply/release settings

I would be careful before I went into raising any line pressure settings. Make small changes. The converter is going to absorb alot of the shift, so its gonna feel like its shifting softer but its actually shifting the exact same.

I would also lower the apply/release speeds significantly from the stock settings. I have been fighting converter slip at lockup with two different circle-d converters, and 2 different transmissions. I think I have my converter unlocking around 25 or 33% tps, and I still see at least 120 rpm slip when I mash the gas and it unlocks. Ill look at my tune when i get home.
    2008 Ford F150 Daily driver
    2000 Z28 T-top Bolt-ons, M6, Tick master, UMI suspension, 4.10s

Tuner in Training
    THANK YOU !! I posted this in 3 different places and you are the first response to what I thought should be a simple fix. That makes sense and I was getting one of those codes before I began messing with it I believe it was shift solenoid b stuck open .... Most of this makes sense to me so far . Let me know what ya think after you get a look at it and thanks again.

Just looked at it.. I would just delete 751 and 757. Limp mode is no fun. Wait they dont call it that on iac equipped cars...

Anyways the best way to fine tune your part throttle shift points is just drive it with your laptop and make changes along the way. If you have it shifting early, or at near stock mph your gonna get extra converter slip, which means more heat. Especially with 2.73s...I hope you have a good cooler.

Man I would look again at your main spark table, that ALOT of timing You may want to look closly at WOT rpm shift points , having them that close to you rev limiter may cause you to bounce off it, depending on how fast your tranny shifts. Or you could raise it slightly..

Raise the line pressure at your own risk, but realize that its rougher on those stock internals and will increase heat. Increasing line pressure is the wrong way to achieve a firmer shift, if thats what your looking for.
    Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 10-26-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    2008 Ford F150 Daily driver
    2000 Z28 T-top Bolt-ons, M6, Tick master, UMI suspension, 4.10s

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a lot man I will try to make some tweaks to it over the week end !