Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is to much TPS Voltage and Whats Not enough TPS Voltage?

Tuner

Question What is to much TPS Voltage and Whats Not enough TPS Voltage?

Ok I am trying to dial in my IAC by opening up the Blade with the screw on my 90 mm TB ,But by doing so I have .65-.67 Idle Voltage but got 4.5 Volts @ WOT.I tried opening up the TPS holes to lower voltage at Idle get it set to .47 volts and WOT is only 4.2 Volts.
    Is .65 volts ok or is it screwing things up?I run Open Loop only ,Closed loop turned off...TIA
    1999 Camaro SS Full Weight No Diet
    H/C Motor Powered by MTI,Kooks Exaust,RC Trans&Gear Drive Train and Yanked!best run [email protected] on a 2.03 60'Mustang Dynoed 415 RWHP & 380 RWTQ Thru a 12 Bolt Moser and Full Exaust!My Latest Mod HP Tuners and Its the most fun and useful mod yet New Motor V.R.E.408 Stroker ,Mustang Dynoed 498RWHP thru full exaust ,12 Bolt Moser(3.73) and Yank SS4000 Verter...

I would not run more then .60 and then adjust the iac effective area.. some would not adjust the effective area and drill the throttle body blade hole..
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner
    So bringing in the effective Area will bring down my counts as well?
    H/C Motor Powered by MTI,Kooks Exaust,RC Trans&Gear Drive Train and Yanked!best run [email protected] on a 2.03 60'Mustang Dynoed 415 RWHP & 380 RWTQ Thru a 12 Bolt Moser and Full Exaust!My Latest Mod HP Tuners and Its the most fun and useful mod yet New Motor V.R.E.408 Stroker ,Mustang Dynoed 498RWHP thru full exaust ,12 Bolt Moser(3.73) and Yank SS4000 Verter...

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Mouse View Post
    So bringing in the effective Area will bring down my counts as well?

in that table the top row is the effective area... the bottom is the iac steps for that point in the used effective area.. the effective area is not adjustable but the steps or counts are. read some of my other posts on how to in the gen 3 section..

Tuner
    Yes I got how it works.I could end alot of my problems by opening the TB Blade abut 2-4 % move my TPS to get .47 volts at Idle but here is the question.By me moving the TPS my Voltage at WOT is only 4.2 to 4.3 is this ok?

Yes I got how it works.I could end alot of my problems by opening the TB Blade abut 2-4 % move my TPS to get .47 volts at Idle but here is the question.By me moving the TPS my Voltage at WOT is only 4.2 to 4.3 is this ok?

does tps show 100% at wot?

Tuner
    Google Yeah it does ,if I got 4.2 volts I do Have 100% blade opening

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    does tps show 100% at wot?
    It does Open 100% at WOT ,Blade is open all the way and HPT Scanner shows 100% but Voltage is only 4.2 @WOT

It does Open 100% at WOT ,Blade is open all the way and HPT Scanner shows 100% but Voltage is only 4.2 @WOT

its fine then.. as long as the tps does not bind and or break..

Tuner
    its fine then.. as long as the tps does not bind and or break..
    Ok Thanks Google ,I will give it a shot...

Tuner
    Ok Google or anyone Else.I now have my TPS at Idle .55 volts and 4.35 Volts at WOT. Is this the Cats Meow?Ok This is the first time in 3 years I have really been working with my Cold Idle problem.JimmyBlue responded to my post 3 years ago on LS1tech for this matter and He was Dead On !My Idle is so unstable the when I put it in gear cold it drops to max Map and Pig rich condition it just chokes out the engine.Ok Now about a month ago I tried doing the TB adjustment screw and had my Iac counts to the 20's and teen's and some times single Digits and 0 when fully warmed up in park (Not in gear) But I switched it back because I was Idling at 1400 to 1500 my Idle is set for 1000.But this was before I did a Search at LS1tech and Found a Post by PMack on effective area.I have never tried this table before.So I shifted it to the right by 3 numbers and sure enough my Dynamic Airflow was Higher then my Desired airflow.From what I have read I want these numbers to match as much as possible Correct?

There isn't a dead set TPS voltage to set the throttle body up at. I alway's adjust the throttle body open until warm idle has a IAC Count of 50. Then I'll reset the TPS by unplugging it and do a key cycle then off and plug it back in. This should reset the TPS % back to 0 for the voltage the TPS Sensor is sending. It'd be nice if we had an option to relearn TPS in the scanner!
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

on a 98-04 ls1/ls6 pcm... you cant go past 0.55v for closed throttle or you wont enter idle cells and you wont see 0% TPS even with a reset

If you need more air than .55 volts to idle properly, then you either need to drill a hole in the TB blade or you need to slot the TPS sensor holes and grind off a nub so that you can twist it to set a new 0 position.

I dont know for certain about other vehicles... anything Drive by wire doesnt give a rats ass as you can just add idle airflow till its happy.
    -Scott -

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    on a 98-04 ls1/ls6 pcm... you cant go past 0.55v for closed throttle or you wont enter idle cells and you wont see 0% TPS even with a reset

If you need more air than .55 volts to idle properly, then you either need to drill a hole in the TB blade or you need to slot the TPS sensor holes and grind off a nub so that you can twist it to set a new 0 position.

I dont know for certain about other vehicles... anything Drive by wire doesnt give a rats ass as you can just add idle airflow till its happy.
    This is on a 99 PCM with a 244 248 @ .05 Cam.What I did to the TPS was as you stated above ,I had to crack the TB Blade 4% ,TPS Voltage was .69 Then I moved the TPS to get .55 at Idle and locked her down and did the unplug turn key on for 30 seconds and turned key off and plugged the TPS back in.But I only have 4.35 Volts at WOT.Is that ok?

As long as you reset the TPS and it reads 0% closed and ~100% wide open you should be fine. If you have a manual shifted car the TPS doesn't have much use anyway's. Really it only trips PE on a 6spd car. Now an auto car you need it to read close to right because most of the shift tables are based off of it.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    As long as you reset the TPS and it reads 0% closed and ~100% wide open you should be fine. If you have a manual shifted car the TPS doesn't have much use anyway's. Really it only trips PE on a 6spd car. Now an auto car you need it to read close to right because most of the shift tables are based off of it.
    I think you should double check yourself there....
    it does a LOT more than Just PE on a six speed car
    its highly responsible for telling the pcm when its in the idle cells, when its in steady state or a transition, throttle follower uses it, rolling idle uses it, DFCO uses it.....
    do I need to continue on?

the only part that you said correctly, was that it needs to read 0 closed and 100 WOT... within a half a percent(to round up or down accordingly.. )

and teh shift tables thing was right... but they dont have to be perfect..theres plenty of "fudge" room in those tables...
    and ass long as your voltages are fine, you will see that no problems with a TPS reset
    Last edited by S2H; 12-02-2010 at 11:44 PM.
    -Scott -

I didn't mean that to sound that it's the ONLY thing it really works for. What was more meant was when your over 10% throttle or more the only thing it's really going to operate on a stick shift car is PE. Idle follower is based off of it as well but that doesn't really have much play when the throttle is open and accelerating anyway. The question was "..I only have 4.35 volts at WOT. Is that OK?" I was mostly answering the high side of the TPS and not the low side to enable idle routines.

The TPS doesn't have to read completely 100% throttle to operate correctly. As long as it reads higher than what your PE enable TPS is then it could read 50% at WOT and still operate correctly. On an Auto car not so much unless you do some crazy trickery to the shift point tables etc.
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 12-02-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    ShorTuning

Ok Google , So I shifted it to the right by 3 numbers and sure enough my Dynamic Airflow was Higher then my Desired airflow.From what I have read I want these numbers to match as much as possible Correct?

correct.. but if idle desired airflow is lower then dynamic airflow.. then your getting to much air and it needs to be lowered.. desired/dynamic*iac position = corrected iac count.. but with your hole in the throttle body being to big.. I think you wil be unable to adjust the desired-dynamic in this way and have them match.. when warm if iac is 0 or less and desired is lower then dynamic.. then your stuck.. no room for adjustment..

Tuner
    Ok Thanks guys ,To get the IAC counts where I wanted them ,I actually Had to move the TPS again and NOW at WOT I have 4.5 Volts and .55 at Idle

Tuner
    correct.. but if idle desired airflow is lower then dynamic airflow.. then your getting to much air and it needs to be lowered.. desired/dynamic*iac position = corrected iac count.. but with your hole in the throttle body being to big.. I think you wil be unable to adjust the desired-dynamic in this way and have them match.. when warm if iac is 0 or less and desired is lower then dynamic.. then your stuck.. no room for adjustment..
    Ok Thanks Google ,I now am at 20's to 40 in IAC Counts my Dynamic Is larger than my Desired air flow but not by much and have already shifted my table to the right 3 spaces,I think I need to move it to the left one space and I think that will get me pretty close and then redial in my IAC Table
    Last edited by Pro Mouse; 12-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.