Thread: j-body guys help!!!

Tuner in Training

j-body guys help!!!

Ok so you all probably know from jbo I did the le5 intake manifold swap and 36# saab green top Injector swap all on a 2002 ecotec cavalier with the 02 ecm. Now I have a problem.

I have a pig rich cold start issue. I am on my phone right now so I cannot post a log.

On my tune I changed the Injector constant and the car idles better than it did stock lol. I also did low rpm ve tuning and high rpm ve tuning all with a Aem uego wideband and histagrams set up for the percent of afr difference. Now I did not rich my idle ve. What would cause this.

Here is a video showing what my Aem displays but it goes richer now its colder out. Tonight it was 29*F out side amd it went to 10.0 afr. Thanks guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_BycDBv3tVE

Need to see a log, and a copy of the tune. What is your command AFR when it does that?

After watching your video, I don't really see a huge problem..... I'm sure you can dial it in a little better, but Jesus, it was freezing balls outside, and your car is still in OL.... My J's do this at cold startup also. Once at operating temp, its right at stoich.....

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260 View Post
    After watching your video, I don't really see a huge problem..... I'm sure you can dial it in a little better, but Jesus, it was freezing balls outside, and your car is still in OL.... My J's do this at cold startup also. Once at operating temp, its right at stoich.....
    Awesome man is this due to some hidden tables we can't access? So is below 10.0 something to worry about? I read something online about something called bore wash or cylinder wash. Everyone who answered me on ecotec forum said not to worry about it so what do you think? This is BTW a na daily driver.

Tuner in Training
    I guess I can say I just worry to much. In all honesty tuning it was very intimidating for some reason. I've read and read and read posts and thought i was ready. Guess not as good as i thought lol.Im glad randall from jbok talked to you and learned from you Ryan because i blew his cell phone up lol. Guess I freaked out when I saw how rich it went on cold start lol. Thanks for your help man I'm glad you are willing to help us j owners like you do.

I also agree not too big of a deal, it was not at that for more than a few seconds.

Yes likely because of some hidden files we can't see.

Tuner in Training
    ^^ thanks for the reply.

Tuner in Training
    ^^ thanks for the reply.

Advanced Tuner
    Colds starts are rich to bring the system (including all the way out to the catalytic converter) up to temp faster. Depending on the temperature, it will even command 11:1 or lower and taper up to stoich until a certain ECT is reached (see OL/CL table). Think of it as a very overglorified choke if you want.

As mentioned, it's nothing to panic about. If it really tweaks you seeing it that rich on cold starts, you can manipulate the OL/CL ECT table to force it to closed loop faster. I will still start rich and hang rich for a few seconds, but it will swich to CL faster than stock when it's very cold out.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Colds starts are rich to bring the system (including all the way out to the catalytic converter) up to temp faster. Depending on the temperature, it will even command 11:1 or lower and taper up to stoich until a certain ECT is reached (see OL/CL table). Think of it as a very overglorified choke if you want.

As mentioned, it's nothing to panic about. If it really tweaks you seeing it that rich on cold starts, you can manipulate the OL/CL ECT table to force it to closed loop faster. I will still start rich and hang rich for a few seconds, but it will swich to CL faster than stock when it's very cold out.
    I agree, but also think there is tables we can't see. I have not adjusted my OL/CL tables, but yet my car with a heated O2 sensor will go into closed loop very quickly compared to before the heated sensor or other cars without it.

As others have said it may be a table you cannot access. I have an 06 HHR with an E67pcm(I have access to those tables) that I have been tuning and I noticed the same thing as the cold weather has moved in. I run very rich for a short period partly because of this table:

I actually lowered the numbers a bit from stock...but as you can see my car is commanding insanely rich fuel during a cold start.
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, heres what ours looks like.

Oh wait your table is a lambda table? Yeah we dont have that, this is the only table during startup that we have, well the 03-05's have a startup ve table as well.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    Yeah we got screwed big time on tables. I guess I will have to.get use to it. Sucks but what can I do nothing. Thanks guys again.