Thread: very odd issue jbody guys again help

Tuner in Training

very odd issue jbody guys again help

ok i have had this tune on my car for a few months now and it starts acting up here lately.

I did not have this issue at first but it seems to happen more now almost like the car has forgot the tune or has made changes to the tune (which with the J body ecm is impossible)

Here is a example.. Tonight i was going to my parents house and just cruising along at partial throttle low rpm i notice my aem wideband shoot to 17 afr and the car kinda had no power what so ever (but i did NOT try to do anything i just let off the throttle when this happened) then bounce back to 14 within a second. then it did the same thing agian.

Now friday night at work i was in the lot just idling for about 10 minutes and i look down my afr out of no where just shoots full 10 afr and the car was running like crap so i blip the throttle and its back to 14 no problem, then it did the 17 afr for a second then back to normal and once more it did the same thing to 17 then back normal.

I talked to my friend who helped me over the phone get the tune done and he knows his stuff. He said its just a J body ecm issue and i cant fix it. what do you all think?

Now it didnt do this at first but now it seems its progressively getting worse and worse. Odd thing is its not a daily issue. so what could be happening.

mods are
    2004 ecotec motor
    2002 ecotec ecm (stock in my car it was always a eco)
    LE5 intake manifold
    60MM bored throttle body
    36# per hour saab green top injectors
    AEM UEGO wideband
    and basic stuff on top of this.

all did on the tune was
    changed injector constant
    ve tuned with 1 bar high and low rpm afr error %
    My config file was provided to me from a friend whom got it from ryan aka imphat or now qwk ln2

i DO not have a log file at this time because i cant seem to catch it just right lol... but i will attach the tune...

Let me take a look at the file later when I get home... Also, to clarify, did it just start doing this, or has it been doing this since you made changes?

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Just started. Seems once the weather started getting cold is when it got worse. But it wasn't doing it at first. Oh and randall from jbok was the one who helped me. With the tune over the phone. He said its a j body ecm.thing lol
    Last edited by slocav; 02-07-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slocav View Post
    Just started. Seems once the weather started getting cold is when it got worse. But it wasn't doing it at first. Oh and randall from jbok was the one who helped me. With the tune over the phone. He said its a j body ecm.thing lol
    Not so much a "Jbody ECM thing", but a lack of tables and HPT support thing....

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260 View Post
    Not so much a "Jbody ECM thing", but a lack of tables and HPT support thing....
    Very true lol. Just let me know what you think if its a tune issue or whah. Thanks a ton man.

Advanced Tuner
    what injectors are you running? Not 60's. Or at least I hope not since you have a different injector constant than me.

your dcfo enable/disable for both rpm and map are different, they're not stock for rpm and they're not fake 2.5 bar for map.

And you still have torque management turned on.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

bad O2 sensor?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    bad O2 sensor?
    Thats what I'm thinking it the one that came on my car all 289,000 miles worth. I can log it and see.

Leafy I have 36# injectors. And my dfco settings were not touched on this tune. I made a dfco disable tune like in the how to on jbo and just copied my ve over when the tune was done. Also what does torque management do for a manual?
    Last edited by slocav; 02-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    idk what torque management does for a manual. I turned mine off because quikln2 told me to and it seemed like a good idea just in case.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    idk what torque management does for a manual. I turned mine off because quikln2 told me to and it seemed like a good idea just in case.
    Hmmm. Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by slocav View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting
    TRQ Management is not going to affect an idle issue... I would agree with the O2 or possibly even the TPS having an issue....

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks Ryan I'll check them. Thanks everyone else as well.

Btw Ryan what does tq management do for a manual?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    bad O2 sensor?
    You sir I owe you a beer. You hit it right on the head man. I purchased a brand new stock replacement ntk from napa and my car ran perfect all the way home about 40 miles. So far so good. But Iknow before it would have done it on the old sensor on the way home so I'll update this post later in the week but so far its fine. Thanks bro.

Tuner in Training
    Ok maybe not. Had a hell of a time even getting the damn pos to even start tonight. Idk it was running lean almost like when the fuel pump died on me a few years ago. I went a head and replaced my tps sensor about half way home and so far it hasn't done it again. I really hope its fixed now I'm beginning to hate this car and tuning it too. I'll update this here in a few days.

Tuner in Training

Angry

ok wtf is going on. i sware i want to blow this pos up. after i swapped out the tps and o2 sensor it ran ok.

Next day i woke up and drove it and when i came to a stop sign and took off the car spit and spuddered, also it wouldnt go anywhere. AFR on my aem wideband was 17 and --- for a about a minute then it jumped up to 14 like normal and the car was fine like it never happened.

after work i came to a stop again and it was the same crap. got off the interstate and again same shit.

now today it started fine and i drove to the gun shop to buy some ammo for my new gun and i left the shop and the car started up fine and idled fine and again miss spit spudder no driveing at all. a few minutes later it was fine. so i went to my friends house and changed my fuel filter thinking it was it and so far it hasnt done it but omg i am about to blow this pos up lol.

also whats up with this log? i know i wasnt logging my wideband so i know its not changing. i was logging it when it was missing etc blah blah blah. so i went ahead and killed the car with it still logging btw and tried to prime the pump and start it again and the car started fine and idled fine again. but hpt in black box mode stopped logging rpm and inj duty cycle... whats the possiablity the crank angle sensor is about to go? how can i check it? thanks in advance guys i hope i can get this fixed....