Thread: Wideband going nuts!!!!

Tuner in Training

Wideband going nuts!!!!

I just installed a new 0 mile aem uego wideband...
    Weld has no exhaust leak.

When I cruise the needle jumps from full rich to full lean non stop. It oscilates as fast as a narrowband would...
    My fuel trims are right on, I dont know what could cause this...
    The wideband is brand new.

When I go WOT it reads perfectly 11.4-11.6 which is what I have tuned it to do.

Anyone have an idea? did I get a bad guage or bad sensor? Are the welds bad?
    Any advice would be appreciated... Im gonna try the gasoline rag test when weather permits, but since WOT works I am guessing it is something in my tune?

Thanks
    02 Regal GS - L67
    Wizardair CAI, 3.4 pulley, SLP Headers

Watch out - 13s

Everything sounds fine. Closed loop is designed to do that: rich-lean-rich-lean... As long as the AVERAGE AFR meets the commanded AFR all is well. Congratulations on getting your open loop WOT and LTFTs where you want them!
    Check before you consider tuning;
    Is the MIL on? ANY leaks-vacuum, fluid or exhaust? Clogged filters? Old O2 or dirty MAF sensors? Dirty injectors, PCV or IAC passage? Correct the condition. Change the plugs & oil while you're at it. They need it anyway. Particular system giving you fits? Visually examine the related wiring first.

Advanced Tuner
    i have the same gauge, mine only sweeps from 14.3/15.0 while cruizing.. what mode is the wideband in? The wideband can operate in 4 modes, i think im using p01

-Carl

Tuner in Training
    It is not operating normally... it is bouncing from 10.0 afr to 15.0 afr every 0.1 seconds while cruising or idling with no pattern or regularness.

@ Carl I didnt realize there are different modes that might be my exact problem how do u switch modes? I will try to look at the guage again....

Also if I was in the wrong mode would the WOT still read correctly??? It would be great if my WB is not broken thanks
    02 Regal GS - L67

Watch out - 13s

Advanced Tuner
    switch in the back,, it displays the mode when it first powers up.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so I need help...

I did a gasoline rag test and called AEM, my wideband is in the right mode and is operating correctly...
    The problem is in my tune or mechanical....

I dont think mechanical since there are no codes, car runs great, and at WOT fuel is what it should be...

My LTFT and STFT are hovering close to ZERO but I am cruising at like 11.0 AFR WTF

How can I lean it appropriately ? I have stoich set to 14.15 for E10
    and injectors are stock with stock settings...

I am hoping this is something stupid I am missing can anyone suggest what might fix this please.
    02 Regal GS - L67

Watch out - 13s

Tuner
    I'm having a similar issue with my dynojet WBII, reads fine WOT, dances around at cruise and idle.... but not nearly as fast as your saying. But my car has 60lb injectors for the blower... after MAF and VE tuning it seemed to get a little better, but not what I want to see, STFT ad LTFT are all within 5% most of the time. Nature of the beast I suppose.

Tuner in Training
    A few times now it seems to be hovering at 10.1 - 10.3
    but my trims are within +-4 of 0 and I am commanding 14.2 WTF

I recently replaced maf which took a dump and I have a new O2 coming in the mail today just in case...

Anyone have any idea what that is about
    02 Regal GS - L67

Watch out - 13s

Are you scanning the narrowband O2? Is it cycling just as fast?

If the narrowband and wideband are not cycling the same, then I think you have a defective wideband. If both are cycling that fast, then you have something wacky in the tune, although I don't know what could cause the rapid cycling.

When cruising, my PLX will move up and down from about 13.5-16.0 and this cycling usually lasts a second or two.

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

Tuner in Training
    Thats just it..
    I tested wideband and know it is working..
    When I am in open loop it works perfect.

Closed loop I bounce all over like it is a narrowband
    10.0, 14.2, 12.5 18.0 16.2 11.0 all in half a second

or sometimes

it hangs on 10.2 - 10.4

even at idle or in park just non stop bouncing. WTF can cause that in a tune...
    I recently replaced maf and maf is working... I ordered a new O2 in hopes that perhaps that will fix it ??? other than that I am at a loss
    Trims are great, open loop is great

My gas mileage is shit too btw!

I was wondering fueling like perhaps some injector issue or fuel pump but I would think that would lean out more than richen? and be less responsive WOT ????
    02 Regal GS - L67

Watch out - 13s

Tuner in Training
    Damn a whole week and no one has advice.. How do I get a guru to notice this and help me out... I dotn want to spam every topic.

I have been replacing sensors left and right it has to be smoething stupid in the tune..

Open Loop my car runs great - closed loop actual AFR is EVERYWHERE mostly hovers at 10.0 to 1 but is all over the place

Wideband MAF and O2 are all Brand new - replaced this week.

Car mods are L67 with BIG hot air intake, 3.4 Pulley, headers, 3 inch cat back
    02 Regal GS - L67

Watch out - 13s

Try one thing at a time.

First, set the tune to speed density Closed Loop
    If the problem persists, set it to Open Loop MAF
    Then to Speed density open loop

That way you will know if you have a problem with the wideband, tune, fueling, etc by the proccess of elimination