Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSJ : ZZP BRFPS help

LSJ : ZZP BRFPS help

I need help with this, I have set up the system correctly (as per the ZZP instructions), and the fuel pressure is set at 42 base (from ZZP). The pump works fine, no leaks, the thing just won't stay running for longer than 2 seconds. ZZP has some pretty crappy instructions for installing this, and they will not help at all with the tune. Not even recommending what needs to be changed. I have used the Return Style Tuning Guide as my reference.

Pertinent mods are :

TVS
    2.7"
    93 pump gas
    79# injectors
    ZZP BRFPS installed as option 2 (removing stock in-tank regulator)

I have not adjusted the MAF yet, as the car won't stay running long enough for me to. The 79's are hard to find any concrete numbers for, and the only thing I could find online are the specs found at the following link, so these are the specs I used to set up the injectors. I am assuming that they are tested at the industry standard 42psi, but it doesn't say :

Racetronix 79's

This is very frustrating. My tune file is attached, but most people run either 60's or 80's so no one has any BRFPS/79's set up. Any help would be appreciated.
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

TVS, 2.7" pulley, LS4 TB, 79# inj, ZZP BRFPS (Option 2), K&N CAI, LS4 TB, Diamond Pistons (9.5:1), Cometic HG, ARP headstuds, GM Dual-pass endplate/opt B/CX Racing heat exchanger, NGK BKR7E's, AEM UEGO, ZZP longtube header, full 3" exhaust

Tuner in Training
    do not use the return style tuning as your guide, zzp's does nto work like this. I have it running on my car and you only want to adjust one table.

In the flow rate vs kpa just level it out a little, mine is 50 at bottom and 60 at top. This is as per one of there threads. I found there instructions very easy to follow. Did you remove the stock regulator( ball and spring)

You can look at my tune ( in thread titling review please). My car idles fine
    Last edited by bluecobalt99; 04-16-2011 at 09:18 PM.

this is different advice than most others that have this setup have told me. which one table are you changing? my injectors are now set at the same settings they were before the install, now all i should have to change is the offset vs voltage vs vac table, right?
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

TVS, 2.7" pulley, LS4 TB, 79# inj, ZZP BRFPS (Option 2), K&N CAI, LS4 TB, Diamond Pistons (9.5:1), Cometic HG, ARP headstuds, GM Dual-pass endplate/opt B/CX Racing heat exchanger, NGK BKR7E's, AEM UEGO, ZZP longtube header, full 3" exhaust

Tuner in Training
    http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/zz-pe...08/index4.html

read post 77 from zzp

that is what i intrepreted out of it anyways, and it seems to run good for me all the way to redline, im having issues right now with knock but assuming crappy fuel, havent been able to drive my car in a week though as its snowing again for the 18th time in 2 weeks
    Last edited by bluecobalt99; 04-16-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    i just read you mods. im running identical modifications as you as well, are you running meth

Tuner in Training
    why is your maf table flat???

maf table or PE table? my maf table is not flat, the PE is flat because there is not any sufficient evdence to support that a sloped/ramped PE table makes any more power. in fact, the evidence points to the contrary. there is a thread by 100%METH on cobaltss.net that explains it better.

i am not running meth, i am 93 pump gas until i get this BRFPS dialed in, then i'll be doing e85. are you also on 79's?
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennpenn83 View Post
    maf table or PE table? my maf table is not flat, the PE is flat because there is not any sufficient evdence to support that a sloped/ramped PE table makes any more power. in fact, the evidence points to the contrary. there is a thread by 100%METH on cobaltss.net that explains it better.

i am not running meth, i am 93 pump gas until i get this BRFPS dialed in, then i'll be doing e85. are you also on 79's?
    the tune you have posted has your maf flat at 0.2509 from top to bottom, take a look, if that is what you have loaded could be causing you issues. i run a flat pe as well

I have mine tuned like a rsfs and it runs perfect. I dont have hptuners on this computer so Ill check the tune later. IMO set it up at 58 psi base and go from there. I think youll run out of fuel at 42 base. If you want Ill send you my tune just pm your email. I know it will be different data but you can kinda see what I have changed.

Remember there has been members who receive the product at different pressures. Make sure to check it with the vac line unplugged so you know its set up correct.
    E-85 279.5whp/258tq

i might agree with you, my fuel pressure gauge wasn't reading 42 psi like the kit advertises, so it's hard to base a tune off of an unknown fuel pressure.
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

Quote Originally Posted by bluecobalt99 View Post
    the tune you have posted has your maf flat at 0.2509 from top to bottom, take a look, if that is what you have loaded could be causing you issues. i run a flat pe as well
    i'm not sure why its saved like that, it is certainly not what it actually is.

for reference, i am in the process of tuning the maf, and it looks more like this:

i'm not finished yet so don't mind the bumps
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

Advanced Tuner
    What are you AFR's when it does start?

You need to know the base fuel pressure so you can make your injector flowrate or it will go extremely rich or lean and want to die.

Hey Jordan, could you post up your tune prior to installing the BRFS?
    ... or email it. Either way.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by bluecobalt99 View Post
    do not use the return style tuning as your guide, zzp's does nto work like this. I have it running on my car and you only want to adjust one table.

In the flow rate vs kpa just level it out a little, mine is 50 at bottom and 60 at top. This is as per one of there threads. I found there instructions very easy to follow. Did you remove the stock regulator( ball and spring)

You can look at my tune ( in thread titling review please). My car idles fine
    This is what I did on the couple that came and they all idled well except 1 car. I had a HELL of a time with the 1 car, makes me think it was something else.

Quote Originally Posted by HNRClothing View Post
    What are you AFR's when it does start?

You need to know the base fuel pressure so you can make your injector flowrate or it will go extremely rich or lean and want to die.
    The AEM UEGO is wired in to the cigarette lighter, and it resets when I turn the key. It does not have enough time to actually start reading before the motor shuts off again.

I would like to know base pressure before actually assembling a tune, but this is not given out by ZZP. ZZP says the base is "around 42psi"...A lot of people with this kit have shown that they base 42psi they said that they set it at can vary, a lot. some have gotten theirs as high as 53psi base. It's hard to know what the fuel pressure is without a tester. And I don't have one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by omega_5 View Post
    Hey Jordan, could you post up your tune prior to installing the BRFS?
    ... or email it. Either way.
    I have it attached.

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    This is what I did on the couple that came and they all idled well except 1 car. I had a HELL of a time with the 1 car, makes me think it was something else.
    Like I said above, the base pressures can vary from ZZP. If you don't know what your base pressure is, it is almost impossible to build a tune off of it.

Update, I have tried to use different settings from the 42psi base that I was trying. I couldn't get anything to work except the 58psi (stock) and set the whole vac table to that 58psi base. It is actually working, and running good, although the tune is likely not matching the base. Just for fun I went out and tuned the MAF, and it seems to be spot on now. The car is showing less IDC's at WOT, at around 70% where the stock pressure is showing 85%. Adjusting the regulator to a different setting should drop those some more.

The tune that is on the car right now is named "TVS Gas 2.7 79's BRFPS"
    Tyler - my tune prior to this BRFPS install is named "TVS Gas 2.7 79's"
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

Guess it would help if I attached the files...

Tyler, yours is labeled TVS Gas 2.7 4_04_11
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

Quote Originally Posted by Tennpenn83 View Post
    Tyler - my tune prior to this BRFPS install is named "TVS Gas 2.7 79's"
    Which post was that in? I'm only seeing the BRFS tune, in the first post.

Nevermind... I just had to refresh the page.
    Tyler

Just a suggestion... but drop your voltage modifier down. Unless the flow rate table is getting maxed out, there is no need to jump up to a 2.0.

I think the big question to answer before tuning it; what is the actual base fuel pressure (pressure without manifold reference ie; free air)?

Unfortunately, the way the BRFS is designed, I doubt you'll be able to see it stably hold more than 75psi under full manifold pressure (~55-60psi base).
    Not to rip into ZZP, but they shouldn't have chose such a feather weight regulator as that... GM never designed it to hold high fuel pressure.
    With that said, though, it does a good job at keeping a clean idle for large injectors at stock-ish base pressure.
    Tyler

i will try to look into a fuel pressure tester kit. the aem fuel pressure gauge has been on the car for only a week, but a comparison to the friends actual FP tester showed some major differences, so it cannot be trusted.

as it is, the car is running, and running good. the multiplier is set to 2.0 because the values on the injectors are set a little lower. either way it works out to the same general numbers that i figured. 79's are hard to find any concrete data for, so i got the info from Area about 2 years ago.
    2006 Saturn ION Redline

I have the -1 column pasted across my offset vs volts vs vac for a base of 58psi. Because the stock pressure is 58psi, the -1 column is the closest to that, so that is the column you want to paste across the whole table. Maybe Im wrong but thats how I learned to do it.

Other than that, I feel like that is a good start. Maybe I missed it but defiantly figure out the base pressure.
    E-85 279.5whp/258tq