Tuner in Training

03 regal S1x cam

Ok here goes my mods
    03 regal gs
    105 crow cam springs
    S1X cam
    fullsize intercooler w/3.0 and 42s injectors
    N* with LQ4 maf

My problem is simple. My tuning is all trial and error. Please help me take the time to figure this out and maybe help simplify this

I have my main chart set up, no prob. I have a histo to show LTFT error that with PE disabled , i scan up to the mid 6500hz cells and copy past special by half.... It also says to reset trims before scan and after adjustment
    Maybe thats my problem

I cant seem to get my trims to stop rockecting up +/- 16.4 to 20 at idle or when crusing on thruway. Sounds like the Cat diagnostic is running

However whenever I first start my car, my idle is horrible, surges and wants to stall, even in gear at red lights. I noticed my IACs are 60-80 and surges to 100 The N* kit is spanking new as of last July from zzp with tac

What other things can I try? my maf reads 2800hz in idle
    Also after my maf tune, it locks at 0 but after a while it locks at 1.4
    Thanks
    Last edited by crazyguy03; 08-25-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Tuner in Training
    i just want to add, that after my car had been running, everything seems to work out and besides my trims spiking, they are within range.

if I use my maf, would trying to VE tune help? or a open loop tune? 2 things I not sure how to do yet as every write up says completely different ways

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the similar issues with my car. I'm running pretty close to the same mods minus the injectors. I just got into HP Tuners and I'm trying to get stuff figured out.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyguy03 View Post
    or a open loop tune?
    Yes, you should try this open loop. I'm not smart enough to know why, I've just read it somewhere. I think it describes how to go open loop here.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...64&postcount=1

Senior Tuner
    That timing looks high to me. I would take 5* from that whole table and see how it does. From there drill the throttle blade. Do a search on that one, plenty of info here on that, you need to get those IAC counts down. Before you go too far though, you have checked all the usual right? No leaks around intake, exhaust, O2 bung.... and so on? What plugs are you using? Did you go at least two points colder than stock? Did you tighten the gap on those plugs to account for the cylinder pressure your car is under? Post a scan when you can of what the car is doing with that tune above when you can.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    One more thing, if your tuning with that EGR enabled your going to be chasing your tail for ever bud. Set it to a value that it will never see and if you want to use it, re-enable it once your tune is in place.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    thanks for taking the time respond. Yes my car has 104s gapped .05 smaller than stock, .045-.050 at times trying to see what works best between kr and mpgs. so far still no kr and still 230 a tank. Re did all vacuum lines, gaskets are tight and sealed, exhaust seems solid, its fairly new and I changed the gaskets and donuts in the headers. NO wideband at the moment because of my new downpipe with no cat has no bung, yet. Im waiting on a welding shop to do it for me. and yes its a gen5. and also im a bit lost on the open loop tune and VE tune, been told soo many times not worry about it unless I plan to run with the maf disabled so any help would be greatly appreciated

1) using the vcm i noticed my IAC likes to be around 58-60 but when I manually lower the steps to 40 and with my rpm set in the tune to 750, it seems more stable and actually sounds like a cam

2) The attached files are base tune I pulled from car. Then all I did was disable PE to 100%, take a drive city and highway. Then I used eddies table modifier to correct maf LIFT, loaded new tune and scanned again, this time mostly ruarl area then 2 wot 2nd gear pulls. NO Kr with my timing table as of yet

3) I didnt reset trims before and after like I was in the past. Hopefully this stops those large swings in trims I keep getting. Im hoping I can keep one tune and keep narrowing it down by not resetting just keep modifying.

4) I have no one local to share or compare about my cam is supposed to idle or what rpms and iac Im supposed to be set to or see.

Hope you can make sense of this

also do I have disable PE everytime or can I just be educated on a filter to use in the eddie thing ?

Tuner in Training
    here is the table text
    Last edited by crazyguy03; 09-02-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add config

Tuner in Training
    do u need to disable PE when using eddies table modifier? I was hoping to take a scan of my roadtrip and just using a TPS filter, pe is disabled until 38%, so i would filter 1-37? not sure if that would work but would save a lot of time
    THanks

Senior Tuner
    Bud, try this method and see how you do. This one makes your fuel tuning a snap. You'll have your non-pe region done in an hour or less, and then you can use your WB to dial in your top end or PE mode

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...64&postcount=1
    2000 Trans Am WS6