Thread: Anyone mind helping a newbie out? 6L80E Stall Help

Potential Tuner

Anyone mind helping a newbie out? 6L80E Stall Help

Car is a 2009 Pontiac G8 and a Circle D 2800-3000 single disc converter was installed last night.

Engine tune was done by a shop, and I've recently purchased HPT for something to learn and to make changes like I had to last night.

Prior to driving I bumped up the shift pressures, zero'd out the desired slip table and bumped up the TCC apply ramp.

Went for a test drive this morning and the trans still feels sloppy, almost like it's spinning a lot looser than what it should be stallling at..... And cruising under a load(read about 50% throttle)the rpms will fluctuate about 1000 rpm up and down, up and down....Kinda frustrating, but I'm new to this so that's why I'm askin for help.

I've done some searching here but I haven't found the answer. Maybe I'm searching wrong. I'm thinking I may hafta jack up the apply rate some more? Or is it something else? Other pressure change?

Thanks for any help. Not looking for a tune, just help in the right direction. Tune attached

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danieltexpd View Post
    Car is a 2009 Pontiac G8 and a Circle D 2800-3000 single disc converter was installed last night.

Engine tune was done by a shop, and I've recently purchased HPT for something to learn and to make changes like I had to last night.

Prior to driving I bumped up the shift pressures, zero'd out the desired slip table and bumped up the TCC apply ramp.

Went for a test drive this morning and the trans still feels sloppy, almost like it's spinning a lot looser than what it should be stallling at..... And cruising under a load(read about 50% throttle)the rpms will fluctuate about 1000 rpm up and down, up and down....Kinda frustrating, but I'm new to this so that's why I'm askin for help.

I've done some searching here but I haven't found the answer. Maybe I'm searching wrong. I'm thinking I may hafta jack up the apply rate some more? Or is it something else? Other pressure change?

Thanks for any help. Not looking for a tune, just help in the right direction. Tune attached

Daniel
    Put 90 in for the Regulator offset in the TCC tab. That should take care of the TCC locking and slipping. Then post a log of TCC slip and TCC psi.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Potential Tuner
    I'll try that......Tim, I'm still new at this so can you tell me what this change does? In laymans terms? I'm eager to learn.

It raises the minimum psi that the tcc gets. I played with it to fix the same issue. 90/1.5 is 60 psi. 1.5 is the regulator gain right above the offset. I have not messed with that and dont plan to. Im interested to see if this helps.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. I'll try that tonight and see if it helps.

I also have a squealing noise at part throttle sometimes coming from the tranny area. I'm not sure what could be causing it. It's a brand new converter. Very frustrating to say the least. I could understand a lil converter noise but it sounds like there is something loose in the converter. Fluid level is fine, had it checked this morning. I took it for a drive and when it made the noise I threw it in neutral and it stopped, so to me it all points there. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by danieltexpd; 11-01-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Potential Tuner

Same Here

I'm having the same issues after my new torque converter. RPM's flucuating in the higher gears at part throttle and a whine in the transmission when in gear. I'm going back to the shop this Saturday. Let me know what you find out and I'll report back after Saturday.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I'm having the same issues after my new torque converter. RPM's flucuating in the higher gears at part throttle and a whine in the transmission when in gear. I'm going back to the shop this Saturday. Let me know what you find out and I'll report back after Saturday.

Will do.... Car has been in the air since wednesday. Waiting to hear back.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Well, look like the trans is burned up. Had the converter rebuilt and now the noise is gone but the trans is still slipping......IMO, I think it was caused by whatever problem the converter had, but the builder doesn't seem to think so.
    Now, I'm gonna hafta park it til I can afford to fix it. 6L80's aren't cheap.