Thread: Need mega help tuning..

Tuner in Training

Need mega help tuning..

So this is the situation.. I have a 84 Silverado.. I recently put in a LQ9, with a 4L80E behind it. I have 35 inch Mickey Thompsons, and 3.73 gears.

The problems- First off, the speedometer is way off. I input my gears and tire size, and then I drive it and it says I barely get up to 20 mph and it will never shift, so I had to put some bogus numbers in for the trans just so I could drive it around.

Anyways motor problems, When cruising around like 60 mph and the trans is at like 2,200 the afr runs aroun 13.9. It runs real good it feels like. But at idle, the afr is off the charts lean, and when I take off it stays real lean until what it seems like I hit a sweet spot and the afr jumps to 13.9 and it runs good with good response.

Questions - How do I fix this? lol I'm really new to tuning, trying to read up on it as much as I can, but whats the best way to give it some more fuel and get the afr where it should be, and would this fix the whole, having to wait til it hits the sweet spot to get it running good? I have a AEM wideband but I don't have it hooked up to my hptuners yet. Any help or info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, from a newbie

Tuner in Training
    Just to add.. It shows when I scan it that no knocks happens, and when it does its less than one and doesn't show up. And my LTFT are all 0..

Senior Tuner
    I have attached a modified version of your file. It should have you running better then you are. Do the compare function before you flash it and see what I changed. If you put it in, its on you.

You need to do some serious reading before you go any farther. Changing items when you dont know what your doing is not a good plan. I have re-enabled closed loop operation, you are running open loop and making changes the wrong way to your ve table. If you want to tune it in open loop, do a search for 69lt1bird. He has a tuning guide in his signiture. Read it and understand it before you attempt to make any more changes. Get your wideband hooked up to hpt.

What did you use for transfercase? I did one last summer but used stock trans and transfercase to avoid having to figure out how to switch the side the driveshaft ran down.

Your Primary VE table is all over the place. I would read up on tuning your VE table and then dial in your MAF sensor.

Your power enrichment is set to command 10.48 in some places...I'd have a look at that.

How are you getting the VSS signal?
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

Tuner in Training
    Stock NP208 transfer case in it. I was trying to use closed loop, but before I attached it I switched it up and was gonna try to use open loop, cause someone sent a link of a how to for it.

Tuner in Training
    Mecanicman you are a miracle worker.. The tune you sent feels a lot better. I saw the changes you made, to be honest I don't know why you made them, I don't completely understand it, but will hopefully learn.

I attached what I scanned, so maybe you could make some suggestions on what I should do.. The AFR is staying consistently between 14.2-15.1 range all the time..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Glad it helped. The files you attached are histograms. They are a method to plot data, but do not actually contain any scans. You want files that end in .hpl and are represented by the same symbol that the hptuners scanner is.

Tuner in Training
    Heys guys, looking for some help again. The truck runs good, with no knock, and sounds great. I haven't really WOT it yet, just cause I tend to baby my truck. But when I do , the AFR seems to go around 15 and stay there. THe normal drivin AFR hovers around 14-14.5 . I was wondering if you guys could help me out and set up my turn to run a little richer during WOT. ANd if you guys could tell me how, and explain it to me a little bit if you have the time.
    THanks guys.

Advanced Tuner
    How many VSS sensors do you have hooked up?

I can't remember off hand, but didn't the 4L80e have one on it and the transfer case have one also. When you swapped to your NP208 did you add a second sensor?

If you only have the one on the transmission hooked up that could explain your problems with the speedo and shifting.

Tuner in Training
    Yeaht the transfer case doesn't have any sensors on it... Just the trans.

Advanced Tuner
    The 4L80e needs both sensors. That's a big part of your problems right there.
    Had a customer's truck with the same problem. They were only running the output speed sensor, wouldn't shift or read speedo correctly until the transfer-case sensor was added.
    Last edited by PitchblackC3; 11-14-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Whats your PE table look like if your running that lean at WOT? Does your AFR stay pretty well consistent from idle to WOT? You know how to figure your EQ ratio for pe?

If your PE is truly 15.0 through all of it. Then increase your PE by roughly 17%

So if your PE multiplier is 1.22, multiply it by 1.17 to get 1.42. Do you have a wideband yet? The easy way to calculate it is 15.0AFR * (x) = 12.5 AFR So then you take 12.5 / 15.0 = .83 take the inverse of .17 and add 1 to it for 1.17 thus you are adding 117% fuel at PE over what is in there now to get to 12.5. Hope that made sense.

Tuner in Training
    So if I'm running around 14.5-14.9 AFR while driving and up at WOT, I should take 14.9x=12.5 (This number being the desired AFR???) 12.5/14.9=x , x= .84 1.16 = 116%??

So I multiple the whole table by 116%??

I do have Wideband, just don't really know how to hook it up to HP TUNERS ...

Berfore you multiply that table by 1.16 PE EQ by RPM, add a status bit to your scanner that show when you are in PE mode. Your A/F is 14.7 and your PE is currently 1.17, that should net you 12.5 if your VE and MAF are dialed in correctly. Double check that your in PE BEFORE you add to it. If you are, then add to it now for safety, then get that VE table and MAF fixed so you can put the PE back to where it needs to be. I would force SD, and see what your ratio is also. You could easily scale the WOT part of the VE table by 1.17 and smooth to regular driving area, and then relog in open loop if your actualy flowing that much more air. Do you have a cam that was added? Just curious how you could be so lean.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Tuner in Training
    So I am new to this and need some help still. What and how should I put in the scanner to look at?? And what should I change.. The LTFT are pretty much 20's in every box it hits. THats pretty much how it has been this whole time.. HELP PLEASE any learning is good learning for me..