Thread: car dies at 70 mph

car dies at 70 mph

2000 bonneville top swap. car runs great til get on the interstate. soon as go 70-75 mph it dies shortly after and will not restart unless reflash the tune. then it fires right back up and drives fine unless hit 70-75 agian and then it dies. i have replaces entire fuel system at this point chasing the issues fuel pump twice. any one else ever seen this before. can drive it for days with zero problems if stay off interstate. wideband shows no issues when it dies.

Senior Tuner
    Its your flux capacitor. I can tell by the abundance of information you provided, like tune and log of it happening.

lol i am posting from phone i will attach the tune and the log tonight when get back home

sorry for the delay here is the tune and the run file

Senior Tuner
    Are there any codes? Why do you have P0101 set to no check engine light. Can you run it throught the rpms to redline if you stay under 72mph?

yeah it is not setting off ses

Senior Tuner
    I think you should check out your Crank Position Sensor and the connector at both ends. Ive had one go bad and it would not throw a code, but once replaced the issue you are having was gone.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I know you have chased the fuel system issues. Have you taken the cap of the fuel rail immediately after it dies, and see if there is any pressure. That at least would tell you if its fuel related. If no pressure, then you may have an intermitant open in a wire somewhere to the pump, or a relay ready to take a crap, or bad contacts somewhere along the way. If you do have fuel pressure, then its electric. Which would lead me to believe what MMGT1 said crank sensor, or even cam sensor. I have also seen bad grounds cause this. Clean all grounds to body and engine. You can also take a digital volt meter when the car is running to represent some load, and measure the votage at differant ground locations (before you clean grounds) If your getting wide variance, and then after you clean them, remeasure for any variances.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Tuner in Training
    the car would stutter for quite a while if it lost fuel pressure. sounds like crank or cam sensor. hows it run under 70-75 mph? anything other problems/weird things?
    10.82@126
    stock blower 3800
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gyLoTOlz4U

Might be silly idea, but did you check your fuel cut off speed? Maybe you changed your cutoff MPH to 70 instead of 170mp? Just throwing that out in case of a key slip or something.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

I know that the 1998 Bonnevilles had a recall on the Fuel Pump Regulator that would have simptoms like that. I did not experience it my self but the guy that I bought my 98 bonneville told me about having a similar problem he replaced the fuel pump x2 and then replaced the FPR. Replacing the FPR fixed the problem about two months later he recieved the recall the gave him a new FPR and gave him cash for the one he installed.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder