Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuning Methodology

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Is it me or am I missing something, Greg re-enables the Dynamic Airflow without ever disabling it to during the MAF calibration?
    I saw that too. Same question...

OK I bought Gregs DVD. VERY informative!!!!!!

Is it me or am I missing something, Greg re-enables the Dynamic Airflow without ever disabling it to during the MAF calibration?
    Was the video ever supposed to show WOT tuning or is that going to be on the advance disk?

Anyways, Great DVD!
    Sherman
    Thanks! Now you're going to make me go back and look through it again myself... The DynAir disable is done by changing the min RPM for high speed air mode from the factory value of ~4000rpm down to something below idle (~400rpm). This is what forces it to use MAF only so we can isolate that transfer function during calibration. Turning it off just means setting this back to stock.

WOT tuning is exactly the same as part throttle. You still make adjustments based on lambda error, they're just derived from a different target than 1.00 or stoichiometric. Once you have the AFR in line, just add spark until you either maximize your torque or begin to detect some knock activity. If you get any knock, it's time to stop or back off a little. Pretty simple, actually. If you can get the part throttle stuff right, WOT is super easy.

Hey Greg, Did you see what I was talking about? I figured out how to disable the DynAir. Really easy.
    I have my MAF and VE table 1.00 Lambda or close to it. I started setting up for WOT tuning and having a hard time figuring out how I need to setup a Histogram to show lambda error for the EQ ratio vs. RPM for Power Enrichment. Any tips?
    Thanks
    Sherman

That's exactly the point. You use the same histogram and adjust the VE or MAF tables for WOT fueling. The EQ Ratio vs RPM table is only a target, NOT the table you adjust based on the errors.

Tuning WOT fueling is the same process as part throttle, it's just based on a different target than 1.00. The Lambda error calculation takes this into account and gives you a correction factor that works the same either way.

Ok. That's cool and makes WOT tuning a sh*t ton easier than the AFR or fuel trim way.
    Thanks
    Sherman.

Ok. That's cool and makes WOT tuning a sh*t ton easier than the AFR or fuel trim way.
    Thanks
    Sherman.
    Easier doesn't always mean better. But in this case it is well sufficient. But you will only get the claimed "best" out of your car when you learn the systems you are working with and build your own method of fine tuning.

"Give a man a fish, teach him to fish" type of example.

Now that I learned the systems i am working with, I have 2 seperate methods of calculating AFR% while scanning. I'm working on a third when I;m back on the road. I take a proportional average as the final variable.

I also check my logged AFR% against different conditions, i.e. IDLE, ACCEL, WOT, DECEL, HIGH THROTTLE. Accel may have very low AFR% error but Idle may have higher AFR% error.

Then the errors in idle will actually make your WOT tuning worse, if you take an average across the entire log.

So try to use your tools to filter out data. If you focus on accel tuning, then your accel will be sweet. Then focus on tuning idle, decel, etc w/o altering the Accel you just perfected.

Good Luck!

ps - Excel will take it to a new level! That is why HPT gives us an export to excel doc function. THAT is where you can REALLY get into some heavy Fine Tuning
    96 Grand Prix 3100 5-Speed Turbo

T04E 50-Trim Internal WG @ 12psi, Intercooled | HM-282 5 Speed w/ EP LSD | Spec 3 Clutch w/ HTOB Port-Polish-Deshrouded Heads | Ported LIM | 36 lb/hr L67 Injectors @ 65 rail psi | Walbro 255 Pump | 2.5" Custom Exhaust w/ Dual Flowmaster 40s | 97 PCM w/ 2 Bar Map HPTuned | Synchronic BOV | 220A HO ALT | ARP Rods/Main/Pan/Studs/Flywheel Bolts

Gauges: Wideband (data logging), EGT, Boost/Vac, Turbo Oil Press, Oil Temp

It feels real wired to read Greg's post after reading the book like he is saying the same thing
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS
    L92 Heads/ L92 Truck Intake
    OBX LT Headers
    Custom Ridings 3200 Stall Converter/Built Trans
    6 Piston ZO6 Brakes/ 2 pc 15" Front rotors

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SargeZ06 View Post
    Try here.

Tuning info...
    That is Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
    Buy every book Greg sells, and read read read. Tons of great info. The DVD is also quite awesome, and a must if you want to use aftermarket injectors. I am really enjoying the second book, getting the why and not just the how makes a huge difference in your end results. Not to mention your confidence when you decide to try and change something.
    I've seen Greg's name before, and I'm very new to tuning! After seeing your post, then reviewing Greg's books and work on Amazon, I simply went and freaking ordered everything he has on Amazon!!! Now I'll simmer till my stuff get here!!!

Thanks for the great advice!
    Живи з честю...Помри з честю