Thread: Turbocharged 2003 4.3l

Tuner in Training

Turbocharged 2003 4.3l

I sure could use a critique of the current tune if anyone would like to take a look.
    I have an '03 Chevy S10 with a 4.3l, 4L60E, SyTy exhaust manifolds with a Precision Turbo PT44.
    Fueling is handled through a Walbro 255 and a converted 2114 MPFI armed with 42# injectors.

Senior Tuner
    Are you having a specific problem?

I can try an look at it later tonight.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    I'm seeing some knock. Today was the worst I have seen. I'm hoping it's false, but my confidence in what I have is questionable. I'm thinking I need to pull some timing. I'm looking for a safe tune. I'll look for all the power I can get later. This toy just got re-elected for daily duty.

Just would like someone with experience, beyond my amateur abilities, to possibly check over the work done so far.

Senior Tuner
    I'll take a look tonight.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    I would appreciate that greatly.

my tune dog,
    1997 s10 4.3-Turbo w/0411 ecu and stuff
    2002 s10 2.2-DD ZQ8 clone "TuTu Powa"

i would just take some timing out where its knocking.
    thats really all i was looking at btw.
    1997 s10 4.3-Turbo w/0411 ecu and stuff
    2002 s10 2.2-DD ZQ8 clone "TuTu Powa"

Tuner in Training
    Already on that. Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    Aside from timing, I would suggest setting your PE to trigger off of MAP versus TPS. Set your TPS threshold low (like 20%) and set your PE MAP at 90 Kpa, for starters. This may help prevent a lean tip in as load begins to increase, but PE fueling hasn't kicked in yet. You can adjust the MAP value higher if you think it is richening too soon, but this is a good start. I would also consider tuning the VE table as best you can. This will also help with tip-in fueling. If you don't want to do the VE, you should set it up to run pure MAF to avoid any quirks.

I think you'll find that much of the knock will go away if the fuel side is working right.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, I'll start on that today.

Tuner in Training
    Couple of short logs taken the last couple of days. There have been some issues.

Hey Dan, try removing way more timing then the pcm is pulling in those areas you're getting KR. See if you still get any. It's seems to me the the KR is always right around 1800-2100ish RPMS. That's right where the knock sensor will pick up that rattle from the balance shaft bearings or what ever it is that causes it. It's real common and I've logged two 4.3L that have had it and they both get kr in the same area and nomatter how much timing I pull , KR never goes away. So I'm guessing you have false knock.

Have you done any VE and MAf tuning? My AFRs seem a little more stable then your's do.
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.

Tuner in Training
    I wondered if the motor mounts are contributing to a possible false knock. I'm leaning that way, but want to make sure. I'll pull a little timing.

I have done some MAF tuning. Had to, I'm using an LS2 MAF. I don't think It's dialed in completely. I thought that's what I had paid a shop to do.

Tuner in Training
    Well I was going to make some changes, but I thinks it's end of the line for my HPT module. It refuses to communicate with any of my PC's or the truck or me for that matter.

Looks like it's going to have to wait until I get back on my feet again before this can be resolved.

Tuner in Training
    I never posted a config file either. I suppose I should in case anyone is interested.