Thread: Cant find COM port

Potential Tuner

Cant find COM port

When I plug my MPVI Pro interface into the usb port on my laptop and then into my car, I sometimes get an error message saying that the scanner can't find a COM port. On the other hand if I unplug the usb and plug it back in I sometimes can get a connection. Sometimes the connection between the car and computer will last a few minutes and sometimes only a few seconds. Occasionally I'll get a invalid cable serial number error message. I'm using 2.22 and was prompted to update my firmware and it updated fine. Once the laptop and the car connect successfully I get data just fine showing on the laptop but then after a minute or 2 it'll disconnect and start saying "trying to reconnect". It's getting really annoying, so hopefully someone can help.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try a new usb cable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Try a new usb cable.
    I installed hp tuners on my friends new HP laptop with Windows 7 and tried it with that and the problem magically disappeared so I'm going to save up for a new laptop cuz mines pretty old I'm guessing that's the issue lol. So much for using a hand me down laptop :-\