Thread: Car randomly goes dead lean while trying to tune

Tuner in Training

Can tunes / operating systems be corrupt?

1998 camaro a4 pcm , 04 lq4, 4l60e 87 rx7

Is there any chance that the tune file or operating system is corrupt? I don't think it's a mechanical issue...as loading an old tune seems to remedy the issue somewhat.

I had the car idling at 13:1 in open loop the day I was doing this, it was around 85f out.. I parked the car in the shade for 45 minutes to cool off a bit as I was getting heat stroke. After I went out to the car and fired it up it sat at 18-20:1 on the gauge, even after warming up again and heat soaking a bit.
    (Even if i sit and stab at the throttle, the afr doesn't enrich really at all.)

([PID.7101]/.5)+10.1 is the wideband pid i'm using (sorry i don't have a pro interface)

If you'd be so kind to look at
    "june-23-1stvetune-ACtweak.hpt"

The other file is just the base file before i started driving around that day.

The log from the 22nd shows the car going dead lean. (a slightly different config, you'll get the idea.. I tried resetting the trims, putting it into open loop etc..)

Do I need to just put in a bunch of elbow grease and shut up? Any thoughts would be great.
    Last edited by mxman; 06-27-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: My post made no sense, lol

Tuner in Training
    fixed the issue, apparently the car has completely changed or something... throwing almost 30% more fuel at a tune that was already ok fixed it... maybe it was just something to do with hotter IAT's, i'll never know!

my idle ve used to be like 25 35... now it's around 50...

Vacuum leak or low fuel pressure issue perhaps?

Tuner in Training
    I'm not sure, I've sprayed ether around the entire intake... maf etc... no change

I just brought up a log from last year..
    3.5ms pulswidth at idle (same as it was when it was lean this year)
    40 ish kpa at idle (again, same as it was when lean.)

I did notice I was an idiot and didn't copy the primary ve into the secondary...

Although, the car is definitely having heat soak issues... 98 camaro ecu, the dreaded heat soak computer :/

Not sure if it would be smart to move the IAT or what... I might try buying or borrowing a thermocouple and testing it again.

Could I just put the IAT sensor INSIDE the air inlet tube? (wires and all ... lol just to test)
    Last edited by mxman; 07-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.