Thread: Those with experience with nitrous.....

Those with experience with nitrous.....

So this is more of a "What has happened in your experience?" thread

For those of you who use nitrous and monitored it what kind of drop do you see in your IAT's?

Also can nitrous safely be injected along with methanol?

I'm planning on running a 75 shot soon on one of my newer boosted projects and I need to know what to expect by using this combination along with 12-17 pounds of boost.

Sorry for not being totally clear, but it's something I wondered so far as IAT.

Thanks,
    -Rob.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

I swear I researched before I posted!

Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Any love for a blind man? Anyone?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    Never ran it with boost but I've had good luck with it. Used a wet kit. Tuned the engine n/a for the a/f ratio I wanted, then adjusted the fuel jet to get 11.5-12.0 a/f ratio on spray using stock timing.

Since boosted engines usually run closer to knock threshold be careful with the timing. I played around with the idea of putting it on my gp and if I do eventually put it on I'll run the same a/f ratio as I do on boost, same plugs as well but keep an eye on the timing. I would recommend you approach it the same way. Keep a small margin in for knock too. My car runs best on the verge of knock though thanks to no intercooler. Just be careful and add timing slowly.

Not sure about methanol.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

I prefer to spray the N2O after the MAF/IAT to avoid skewed readings.

There is no problem using methanol with nitrous. If you use it as main fuel works good, the extra octane is a good protection. You can use a standalone fuel pump/cell with gasoline to feed only the solenoid.

If you use meth with a water/meth injection kit, it is also good, no problem.

However, if you inject the meth through the fuel solenoid (instead of gasoline) there aren't jetting tables for alcohol and you need to find the correct jet size to get the AFR you want.

Methanol is 100% compatible with nitrous, there are no known issues other than better pumps and bigger jets/noids. You can even use a little more timing.

I have used nitrous on boosted engines. The results are awesome, you only need to keep the AFR into the 11's and pull several degrees if you are on the edge of detonation. I have used up to 150 shot on supercharged engines with good results.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Meth + nitrous works great. A local CTS-V actually runs safer on spray because he fills the car up with crap gas and it pings it's ass off. On spray... No pinging at all and clean pulls with no timing pulled for the shot. Lol.

If its a turbo car, nitrous will spool the crap out of the turbo(s).

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    No experience with N2O and boost.
    I once ran a small dry kit without a jet in the nozzle = 175 hp shot. IAT in the summer would be over 100* and at the end of a sprayed pass would be 35*.

Quote Originally Posted by 02BLKWS6 View Post
    No experience with N2O and boost.
    I once ran a small dry kit without a jet in the nozzle = 175 hp shot. IAT in the summer would be over 100* and at the end of a sprayed pass would be 35*.
    This is what I was looking for.

Also can some explain N2O in breakdown compound form? Is it corrosive, and what is its flash point?

I'm going to be stuck in a case where meth isn't quite going to cut the cooling properties alone (1,800-2,000 horsepower in a fairly compact package.)

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

I would think that the meth injection would not be needed when spraying nitrous.
    Nitrous would drop the iat lower than the meth would be able to. Also nitrous likes to have the timing retarded.
    Nitrous is a oxidizer it is not corrosive.

The break down is nitrogen and pure oxygen. It just allows the use of additional fuel and a cooler charge. I ran the boosted motor I tuned on e85 and nitrous. But I would recommend a progressive controller or you will get a lean spike which under boost can be naughty! If you bring it in a little slower the fuel has time to catch up and you don't get a monster lean spike.

I agree, no meth, nitrous progressive controller. I ran it NA a lot in a previous car and depending on the setup, nitrous will punch you in the face. It's great!