Thread: Can I change OS to later one in 2000 PCM?

Tuner

Can I change OS to later one in 2000 PCM?

I read that 2002 OS is better, for instance gets rid of secondary VE table. I already have applied MAF RTT enhancement to my 00' PCM. Can I upgrade it now somehow without using additional credits? I want to retain MAF for now.

which vehicle?
    as an example...if its a f-body...yes
    you can do a 2001 or 2002 OS in it with no issues
    but you will need to spend the credits for the new OS you are putting in unless you already have purchased the license for it or if you have the unlimited for both years
    -Scott -

What are the other advantages to doing this?
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Senior Tuner
    Specific tables, namely idle, have more resolution, thus potentially better control. The spark tables and knock sensor settings are all improved. EGR is already defeated, so for emissions purposes that's one less test to have to pass. There's also more transmission parameters available in HPT's definitions (the "General Pressure" group is available).

Furthermore, for the A4 cars, keeping the TC locked at WOT is only possible on the '01-'02 calibrations (it would be on the previous years, but HPT doesn't have the parameters in their definitions to allow for such). All you have to do is command it via the Apply/Release Speed tables, and it'll do it. Naturally, this should only be done on the vehicles that have TCs that can handle such abuse.
    Last edited by RWTD; 10-28-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    which vehicle?
    as an example...if its a f-body...yes
    you can do a 2001 or 2002 OS in it with no issues
    but you will need to spend the credits for the new OS you are putting in unless you already have purchased the license for it or if you have the unlimited for both years
    Yes, Fbody. But spending credits now would be useless because with TC78 I hope to reach MAF's limit and then switch to 2bar SD...

thank you
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Also if you put in newer operating system your vin will be changed. On efi live pretty sure you can change the vin back to old one. On hptuners don't think you can. this might or might not be a problem.I went to 2002 OS in my 99.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection
    interceptor guages, eboost 2.

Other toys 91 race talon turbo awd, 97 talon awd turbo, 2008 Z06

Senior Tuner
    I know you can change the VIN to what you want, but it's possible you'll get an invalid pair coming up if you do.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Resurrecting this thread for some guru advice.

I've licenced a 2000 C5 for tuning. It has the dual VE tables and no IAT filter table. In the interest of more tuning flexibility, I like to convert it to a later OS. I also have unlimited 2003 C5.

Using HPT, can I write-entire a 2003 OS with the correct 2000 VIN without triggering an invalid VIN-OS pair? How would one check for that in advance? Would I have to re-licence the original 2000 PCM?

Or can I write-entire a 2003 OS and 2003 VIN to the 2000 PCM? Would I have to re-licence the original 2000 PCM?

Is there an actual problem with having a different VIN for the body and PCM?

Any issues with starting security (VATS)?

Anything else I should know or watch out for?

Many thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Bill I have been trying to find out the same thing. I will have to order another PCM and want to have a 2001 flashed with tech2 for my 97 vette. I dont want to have to repin anything and I think you can send in the fried PCM to get the credits for free since you are tuning the same car.
    2007 Trailblazer SS
    Pacesetter long tubes/magnaflow duals/electric water pump/electric fans/fast lxrt/ported tb/ 4" CAI/as hood/
    1999 CAMARO SS- LS2 1 7/8" LTs|BIGCAM|S2Heads|FTRA|UD Pulley|TRU DUALS|LCAs & LCARBs|panhard bar|BMR ADJ T-Arm|racetronix fuel pump|FAST102/102 Mcleod Adj MC|HINSON SHIFTER|S2 T56|4.56s|RAII|K&N|LID|Monster 4/electric water pump/micro edge/lnc2000/qa1s/nx plate/qa1 drag bar/12 bolt/4.11 gears/3.5 ds

it has to be the same pcm to flash the later OS...
    so your 97...really has no options to flash to a later one... they changed pcm's in 98, and then again in 99 if I remember correctly...

an example would be that you could flash a 2000 PCM with a 2002 OS...but not a 2003 OS as its a different pcm platform.
    I believe the 2003 and 2004 share the same pcm, but theres no differences in the OS

if you get a newer pcm for your older vehicle...you will have to repin it to match the wiring scheme...and its very possible that some things wont get used and other things will be missing or the wrong style(a good example is the crank reluctor being 58x instead of 24x or vice versa)
    -Scott -

Hello Forum,

new in this Topic, so pls. excuse if the question is stupid :-)
    Where do I get such a new OS? Copy from a friends Vette, or is there a place to download?

-Michael-

on hptuners.com there is a tune repository that has many different calibrations that are uploaded by users. You can find that repository on your customer login page where you would buy credits for your cable.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

So I just download a 2002 stock tune, and do a full write on my PCM? What's about this possible VIN mismatch, do I have to / can I change the VIN afterwards to my original one, or will the old one just stay in the way it is? And the most important question: Can I "brick" my PCM, or is it always possible to go back to my stock program I saved?

thanks a lot!

Advanced Tuner
    Mike, quite difficult to brick a 99-02 PCM, but can be easily done with 97-98 PCM and 03-04 PCM if you play with the wrong throttle body tables..........

So I simply download a 2002 stock tune, and upload it (with the help of 2 credits) to my 2000 PCM? Thats all?
    while(!asleep()) { sheep++; }

Advanced Tuner
    call me, but yes that's it. doing it all the time for Cobras running LSx engines.

Thanks a lot, I will try tomorrow :-)
    while(!asleep()) { sheep++; }