Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weird wgdc fluctuations

whether i advance or retard timing it still shows knock. the only way i can get it to go away, for the most part, is by almost taking all of the timing out but then i lose a ton of power.

i saw that advancing and leaning out the pe helps but i tried that to no avail. running .88 with more timing and getting more knock.

fml lol. jk, but seriously.

stock cam tables still if that helps.

is there something else i can do to help with knock or is just timing?
    Last edited by |V3nom|; 08-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    2008 Sky RL

Smoothing eliminates erratic timing, basically it creates a smooth transition to whatever cell the ecm goes to next. I never made my 4 tables the same, what i did was make similar changes in each table and then made the WOT areas just about the same.

I eliminated a decent amount of daily driving knock by smoothing my timing, Changing cam timing will affect cylinder pressures so that could also help too but when i look at your logs the knock starts at 5psi and 40% throttle then just hangs around.... it also seems to always happen when the throttle is first depressed and or released which is why i was thinking a lot of it was false knock.

If you would like to try my timing or cam tables just to see what happens i can send them to you, just let me know. Mine is tuned for 93 octane

yeah sure i wouldnt mind trying that out and see if it helps. id like to see how they differ from mine.
    2008 Sky RL

i tried out your settings but i still got 3ish hits on knock. i retarded on those cells but i havent had a chance to log it since to see if it helped.

it definitely pulls hard though!
    2008 Sky RL

that knock is very persistent haha... Glad you liked how my settings drove, i spent a decent amount of time and driving to figure them out.

heres a log of today. no long wot pulls, just driving around. still lots of knock everywhere down low. saw a thread on injection angles that might help with knock.

ive tried going rich and lean, more and less timing, and now cam changes but it still seems like i still get around 3 hits of knock in a lot of places. the only way ive been able to get next to 0 is by going super low on timing. injection angles seem like the next step to try.
    2008 Sky RL

you did go WOT for very short, did you try my wastegate settings too? looks familiar haha

I would take a real close look in your engine compartment at anything thats aftermarket, engine mounts, anything thats been moved before, check suspension, exhaust ... anything that when you load and unload the engine it might bang around. I say this because the "knock" happens almost always when you lift the throttle or press down on it. Also the knock always spikes to a peak then slowly goes down, never spiking back up any higher.

no but pretty much everything else is yours lol. i still need to play with my wg settings though, still boosting a little higher than i want, trying to keep it <24psi.

ill have to look around again for anything that could possible be moving around under the hood. does it have to actually hit the motor for the knock sensor to pick it up or can it sense something tapping the hood or somewhere else? trying to figure out what i should be looking for. gotta say though, the last time i looked i didnt see anything out of the ordinary that might touch the motor or close to it. guess ill find out next time i look.
    2008 Sky RL

in my experience it usually something attached to the engine but things to look at are exhaust, intakes too close to something like the fender or cold air intake pipes that go thru the body and contact it, anything metal on metal. Do you ever log all 4 cylinders for knock? could try that and see if you notice a theme... but best thing to do still is get some higher octane and see how the car reacts

not sure where to get octane higher than 93 other than the drag strip and thats over an hour away so no thanks on that drive lol. yeah ill just have to put the eagle eye on everything that touches the motor and see if i can come up with something.

i just do total knock but i can try logging all 4 and looking for a trend.
    2008 Sky RL