Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Injector or Methanol Kit

Tuner

5th Injector or Methanol Kit

I realize one uses fuel and the other users a water/methanol mixture. My question is would the 5th Injector serve the same purpose as a methanol kit would?

I've been interested in a methanol kit, but if the 5th Injector would serve the same purpose I feel it would be a better fit for me, because I'd rather not install a tank in my trunk. If I can't use the 5th Injector as more then an additional fuel source though I won't complain just trying to see where the differences may be with these options.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    The 5th injector adds fuel so the Ecu will run a smaller duty cycle this way the injector doesn't blow out the ignition. Methanol just allows more timing but doesn't help the fueling issues. If factory turbo I'd say meth but if your modding like a boss the 5th might be better for you.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    The 5th injector adds fuel so the Ecu will run a smaller duty cycle this way the injector doesn't blow out the ignition. Methanol just allows more timing but doesn't help the fueling issues. If factory turbo I'd say meth but if your modding like a boss the 5th might be better for you.
    I had a feeling that was the answer I was going to receive. I will be sticking with the factory turbo, but I was just wondering if the 5th injector could be used as a cooling agent like a meth kit would on top of being an additional fuel source (even though on stock turbo I have plenty of fuel). I'll go ZFR though if I ever need to rebuild my motor. Right now I'm just looking for a solution to cool down the intake air to run more timing, and to clean off my valves.

fifth injector if you are running E is the way to go. Im building with on stock turbo and am going to run the 5th

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSink View Post
    fifth injector if you are running E is the way to go. Im building with on stock turbo and am going to run the 5th
    Would you mind explaining your reasoning?

The stock injectors cant support full E85. IDK about you but personally im not gonna dick around with mixing and retuning the car everytime I fill up. Thats why Im going to run the 5th injector plus I think it will help keeping the valves clean. Im also going to run a water injection setup. Not water/meth E85 will have plenty of octane for me I just want the water to help keep it cooler so I don't burn the engine down.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSink View Post
    The stock injectors cant support full E85. IDK about you but personally im not gonna dick around with mixing and retuning the car everytime I fill up. Thats why Im going to run the 5th injector plus I think it will help keeping the valves clean. Im also going to run a water injection setup. Not water/meth E85 will have plenty of octane for me I just want the water to help keep it cooler so I don't burn the engine down.
    Ahh alright thats understandable. I would do the same thing, but E85 isn't the most convenient trip for me so I plan on doing a mix. I'm going to throw in a 5th injector on when I get my hands on a ZFR, but in the mean time I think I'm going to invest in a methanol/water injection kit.

Now my big question is AIS vs AEM vs Snow? What size nozzle would I want? Would nylon lines suffice or would I want stainless steel lines? Would I want a large capacity tank or would a 3 quart tank do the trick?
    Last edited by LNFnewb; 11-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.

personaly id run steal lines under the car and run a big tank. Im custom welding my own aluminum tank its going to be about 5 gallons. As far as vendor to buy from any of those are quality products. the nozzle size I would talk to the vendor. They will know more on that.

the fifth injector does not spray on the valves it sprays in the evap port by the front of the mani which makes a sharp turn iirc. With that the spray will not clean the valve off like you see in some of the MPFI setups rolling around because it isnt close enough to hit it with any pressure behind it.

Tuner
    the fifth injector does not spray on the valves it sprays in the evap port by the front of the mani which makes a sharp turn iirc. With that the spray will not clean the valve off like you see in some of the MPFI setups rolling around because it isnt close enough to hit it with any pressure behind it.
    That's good to know then, would you have any recommendations regarding a methanol kit then? I'm pretty sure I have an idea of what I want and need, but I'm unsure of the nozzle size. I'm just not clear or sure on the air/methanol(water) ratio for these applications.

5 gpm nozzle for the LNF, 49% meth 51% water so it remains non flammable in the tank.

Boost Juice is best.

Tap the CP about 8" before the throttle body for the nozzle. Gives it time to vaporize & cool the charge.

Most -20* WWF is around 30% meth, iirc, 3 12 oz. bottles of HEET + 1 gal WWF = ~50% meth. You can search for it online, it's been a while for my old memory. Wal Mart WWF has the MSDS sheets online. Only prob with WWF mix is it turns the CP blue inside. lol.

You can run just the WWF. I did for a while.

http://www.lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS...%20Brands).pdf
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 11-01-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

the flow sensor kits are a nice bonus although they can add up on price quick.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    5 gpm nozzle for the LNF, 49% meth 51% water so it remains non flammable in the tank.

Boost Juice is best.

Tap the CP about 8" before the throttle body for the nozzle. Gives it time to vaporize & cool the charge.

Most -20* WWF is around 30% meth, iirc, 3 12 oz. bottles of HEET + 1 gal WWF = ~50% meth. You can search for it online, it's been a while for my old memory. Wal Mart WWF has the MSDS sheets online. Only prob with WWF mix is it turns the CP blue inside. lol.

You can run just the WWF. I did for a while.

http://www.lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS...%20Brands).pdf
    Just to be sure do you actually mean gph? or did you really mean to put gpm?

Just to he sure also when mixing I should go by mass and not volume right?

the flow sensor kits are a nice bonus although they can add up on price quick.
    What alternatives are there?

The nozzles are rated gallons per hour.

Tuner
    The nozzles are rated gallons per hour.
    Ok that's what I thought, you put gpm in your first post so it confused me for a moment. haha

Iz old, forgive me.

Tuner
    Iz old, forgive me.
    Haha no worries at all I just wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken some how. So to be safe I would probably be best off having a 5+ gallon tank especially if I were to autocross or to a track to ensure I have a minimum of an hours worth of capacity?

well others without the flow gauge kit just put a led light in the pillar and input it to the pump so they know when the pump is on but you wont know when its out of meth mix. what i have done before is connect a backlight to an AM oil pressure gauge and connect it to the pump so it lights the backlight on the gauge when the pump kicks on. looks kinda cool and it didnt require a dangling led or hole drilled into the pillar.

I had the LED mounted in the black cowl trim by the wipers at the back edge of the hood.

Tuner
    Oh I wasn't even thinking about a flow gauge to be honest. haha

I wasn't really thinking about anything to fancy. I want a sufficient kit that will flow well enough to meet my needs, that will come on when I hit a set boost level, and shut off when I fall back below that point. I'll have to see what I can come up with regarding the LED and where I would want to locate one, because I would rather use that method then a flow gauge they're pretty pricey.