Thread: Can someone look at a log for me and help me diagnose an issue?

Tuner in Training

Can someone look at a log for me and help me diagnose an issue?

this is an 06ss m62 2.7, 80's, cai, long tubes, meth 7gph. The tuner says the car is ingesting meth at idle. the car owner refuses to believe that there is anything wrong with the car and that it is the tune that is causing the problems. I was hoping to get some 3rd party advice to pass along to the car owner.

thanks

Tuner in Training
    here's the log
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    tune file?
    from the log though, its super rich at idle...like -20 trims rich. the idle is not smooth either very rough 500 rpm swings. the tune will need work on the 80's values i can tell from the idle its not quite right. also you look to be having some injector interruption at about 4k rpm looks like you were getting wheel hop there. and because everything else is a little off as well then its no surprise you are receiving kr spikes throughout the log.

if the owner said its ingesting methanol, then you need to disconnect the meth from the intake and find a way to cap it off. if the trims at idle don't correct when disconnected, then you my friend are going to be basically making a new tune.
    Not what everyone wants to hear but setting the injectors up right is the first thing you do and it effects the other steps to come after.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-17-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    several tables out of tune can cause rich at idle. Fuel injector offset vs RPM vs MAP, offset vs voltage as well. Flow rate too high at idle MAP conditions, MAF table out of tune on the low end, MAF Delta talbes too low, etc....

Surprised you didn't disable the meth injection and re-logged the idle with fuel trims reset to rule out the meth issues.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGP33 View Post
    several tables out of tune can cause rich at idle. Fuel injector offset vs RPM vs MAP, offset vs voltage as well. Flow rate too high at idle MAP conditions, MAF table out of tune on the low end, MAF Delta talbes too low, etc....

Surprised you didn't disable the meth injection and re-logged the idle with fuel trims reset to rule out the meth issues.
    main problem is the car is 70 miles away from me and can't come log as needed due to distance and conflicting schedules. He tunred the meth but we didn't log due to him being 70 miles away. he said the car ran better up top but not at idle with the meth turned off. we cannot get a one day tuning session with the tuner due to the tuner's availability vs the car owners availability vs my availability.

devils own says there is virtually no way the check valve is bad and rather could be dirty. the check valve has been disassembled and cleaned with no change in drivability...now i know that in now way tells the data of an actual log.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    tune file?
    from the log though, its super rich at idle...like -20 trims rich. the idle is not smooth either very rough 500 rpm swings. the tune will need work on the 80's values i can tell from the idle its not quite right. also you look to be having some injector interruption at about 4k rpm looks like you were getting wheel hop there. and because everything else is a little off as well then its no surprise you are receiving kr spikes throughout the log.

if the owner said its ingesting methanol, then you need to disconnect the meth from the intake and find a way to cap it off. if the trims at idle don't correct when disconnected, then you my friend are going to be basically making a new tune.
    Not what everyone wants to hear but setting the injectors up right is the first thing you do and it effects the other steps to come after.
    let me ask you this....he said he turned the meth off......now that i think about it, if it is ingesting meth at idle it's not going to matter if the system is turned on or off if the nozzle is still hooked up to a bad check valve. am i correct here?

now please note that this is a tune that is 1 revision from a base file. the tune is not perfect at all and myself and the tuner know it needs adjustments in several areas. the tuner just noted the problem that he says is not tune related and wants to get it fixed before we resume any more tuning. no point in tuning a broken car ya know. but the car owner refuses to believe that there is something wrong with the car and that it is all in the tune. I know that more could be told from the tune but it is not my file so i don't want to just post up someone else's work, plus the tuner says it is not in the tune and i trust what he says. just wanted some 3rd party opinions to relay back to the car owner.

thanks

if the check valve is bad and the injector is hooked up there is a chance it will leak small amounts of meth into the intake. if the nozzle is installed after the throttle body, as if one used a meth plate, the leaking would be more due to the vacuum pulling the meth into the intake where as if its pre-throttle body then there's not a vacuum pulling and it becomes more of a very slow drizzle.

does that answer your question?

Tuner in Training
    if the check valve is bad and the injector is hooked up there is a chance it will leak small amounts of meth into the intake. if the nozzle is installed after the throttle body, as if one used a meth plate, the leaking would be more due to the vacuum pulling the meth into the intake where as if its pre-throttle body then there's not a vacuum pulling and it becomes more of a very slow drizzle.

does that answer your question?
    Yes it does and it is on a tb spacer so yeah that seems to coincide with what is going on

if you remove it, when you temporarily plug it DO NOT INSERT A SET SCREW (AKA FLUSH MOUNT) ive seen them vibrate down and get sucked into the supercharger a few times.

Tuner in Training
    if you remove it, when you temporarily plug it DO NOT INSERT A SET SCREW (AKA FLUSH MOUNT) ive seen them vibrate down and get sucked into the supercharger a few times.
    That would suck. Thanks for the tip. I sent you a pm