Thread: Learning - OS / ECU versions etc.? v6, v8?

Tuner in Training

Learning - OS / ECU versions etc.? v6, v8?

Where's a good place to read about the different OS versions and applications out there?

I have done a basic N/A tune with what I know as a "24x" ECU (obviously there are many versions of this, but I am not sure how to identify them or what to call them) and now I am trying to do a tune on the same engine with a supercharger. i picked up a second ECU from our local auto salvage, gave them the "Serv. No" off the old ECU and got a replacement that I discovered was for a 2001 Blazer v6. I found that out AFTER I licensed the ECU and applied the 2-bar update (which doesn't seem to be working).

Obviously the engine won't run at all, I'm a little frustrated because I do not know where I can find documentation to get myself up to speed. I tune a lot of standalones but am new to HPT. I have the "Tuner School" books and they worked fine for the N/A engine I tuned a few weeks back, but now that I am running it with a supercharger I need the SD 2-bar update.

So obviously my questions are, can I use this v6 ECU in my Gen 3 application? do I load another "Operating System" or ? Where would I go to read or learn about this so I don't have to ask lame new guy questions as well? I did a lot of forum searching the past few hours but find nobody asking similar questions to this. Perhaps they're out there but I sure can't find the answers, hence this post.

Suggestions welcome,

-Scott

Senior Tuner
    You can use that Pcm as they are the same hardware, however, the OS must be changed.
    Do a write entire of the new pcm with the file from first tune(NA) then licence the 2-bar.

As for finding a list of PCMs and Osids I doubt you will find one (or a full complete one anyways) as companies like HPT have spent much time resources and money getting that info.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    You can use that Pcm as they are the same hardware, however, the OS must be changed.
    Do a write entire of the new pcm with the file from first tune(NA) then licence the 2-bar.

As for finding a list of PCMs and Osids I doubt you will find one (or a full complete one anyways) as companies like HPT have spent much time resources and money getting that info.

Thanks for the reply planethax, I appreciate it a lot.

Bill @ HPT answered my support question and the answer is, my mistake so I am out two credits.

Meanwhile, I took a flash file I saved from the running 5.3 V8 GMC Sierra PCM and did a "write entire" (at Bill's suggestion) of that back onto the PCM it came from. I got the MAP sensor reading normally again, but no RPM while cranking. Cam and Crank sensors have power, ground, and are presenting a valid signal back to the PCM (verified with a 'scope) so I am speculating that there's still something wrong in firmware/software? Bill's next suggestion was take it to a dealer for reflash. not super easy because I am on an engine dyno with no car to put it in. Maybe the dealer will send a tech here (there's a dealer down the street) - sounds like this error is going to cost us even more $$.

Feel free to correct me but it sounds like I need to get both of these PCMs flashed back to stock, does the dealer have the firmware/OS onsite? And I need to figure out how to do it to a bare PCM since I do not have a 2001 Blazer or 2001 Sierra nearby. Am I right?

thanks in advance for the help,
    -Scott

Senior Tuner
    Save yourself the hassle,
    Pcm could be toast by plugging it in with a V6 OS
    Yes will cost 4 more credits but I would get another Pcm.
    Question however, if you have a PCM for this engine already and licenced, why not just you that one and apply the 2-Bar?

Tuner in Training
    Question however, if you have a PCM for this engine already and licenced, why not just you that one and apply the 2-Bar?
    I would do that but in yesterday's attempts, I did a "write entire" of the 2-bar upgraded v6 flash file to that PCM so it's in the same condition as the V6 PCM. Originally that good v8 PCM was non-responsive to HPT, after running perhaps 20+ engines on our dyno with it. So I went to the local salvage yard asking for a replacement PCM, they matched the "Serv No" on the PCM and the connectors fit so I (mistakenly) presumed it was the same thing. I updated that PCM with the 2-bar OS, couldn't get the engine to show RPM while cranking, so I tried the "dead" PCM (only difference being I updated VCM Suite since the last time i worked with it) and it suddenly came back to life - then I did a "write entire" to THAT pcm of the 2-bar upgraded flash file (not knowing it was wrong OS at this point), which caused it to be in the same condition as the v6. It's interesting that a "write entire" will kill the OS, but you can't bring it back by doing a "write entire" of the original flash file which I did save on both PCMs?

So I just now called my one local GM dealer who can't flash a bare PCM and doesn't want me to try bringing down the entire harness, all sensors, and a battery to reflash either of these. Fine.

So my ONLY source to get my work done today is the local salvage yard. They have piles of PCMs. What would I tell them to match my PCM *AND OPERATING SYSTEM* - the exact make and model of vehicle that contained the original PCM? I did that once before and they matched the "Serv No" number apparently thinking that's how you match PCMs. Obviously not, so?

I apologize to everyone having to read this, and Bill who is obviously frustrated with my questions, but I would HAPPILY accept direction to any documentation that keeps me out of this fiasco in the future and not bug anyone. Believe me.

Thanks again planethax for your help,
    -Scott
    Last edited by dieselgeek; 05-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Yup some Salvage yards are like that.
    Ok, get your original file and see what vehicle it came from;
    Tell that to salvage yard and reiterate it as well.
    Once you have new Pcm from them, just read it first and verify it has come from the vehicle you want, if not return it for exchange.
    Eventually they will get tired of this and do the extra step and get you correct PCM from Correct vehicle.

However, doing a write entire with a dif OS should not brick Pcm, I suspect plugging the PCM in with wrong V6OS into a V8 harness has screw a quad driver or circuit.

Senior Tuner
    Also to ad;

To remove this possibility what I do is use a bench harness.
    Basically the
    PCM connectors
    A DLC connector
    and a old used PC computer Powersupply.

I only hook up the Data grounds bat and ign feeds.
    Making sure to verify proper pin locations via diagrams.
    The Data grounds bat and ign feeds should be the same though as it is the same hardware (I mainly do that as I go from dif hardware back and forth.)

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Just to add to this V8's and V6's, in many cases, share the same operating system so its not an operating system issue, ultimately its mainly just the calibration differences that are what set them apart from one another.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    However, doing a write entire with a dif OS should not brick Pcm, I suspect plugging the PCM in with wrong V6OS into a V8 harness has screw a quad driver or circuit.
    The PCM isn't bricked, but it won't show any RPM when cranking and I've verified that the proper signals are being presented (at least for a 24x LS crank & cam compatible PCM). So if this is not an OS issue then I am *really* confused because, why can't I just do a "write entire" of the ORIGINAL calibrations/firmware/whatever-we're-calling-it-today and have it back to the exact same condition it was in yesterday morning? I've tried that on the original v8 PCM and it's still not working as it was on this very same engine, same harness, yesterday.

Both PCMs are still putting out +5v reference which is usually a sign they're still healthy. They can still communicate with VCM suite applications. So, not "bricked" at least in the terminology I understand it (I come from the standalone world where terms like Operating System, Firmware, Calibration are clearly defined/understood/known, not guesses)

So if I can't write-entire the original flash files saved per instructions to be able to "go back to starting point" - can anyone here tell me with certainty what I did wrong, and what's wrong with my 2001 5.3 v8 PCM?

Tuner in Training
    So I got a new PCM from the salvage yard. It's a 2002 Sierra 6.0 V8. I did a "read entire" before anything else, and put that in a safe place.

What should I do next if I want to run this on my engine that previously ran with the 2001 Sierra v8 PCM? And I will need it to run the 2-bar OS upgrade as well.

The 2001 v8 PCM has an OS-ID of 12208322
    The 2002 v8 PCM has an OS-ID of 12212156

thanks you guys for the help so far!

-Scott
    Last edited by dieselgeek; 05-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try running the engine on the new pcm as it sits.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Ok tried that. no dice, no RPM while cranking. Double checking I still have valid ckp and cmp signals presented to the ECU right now, but other suggestions welcome.

-Scott

Tuner in Training
    Wire harness issues - CKP signal good and it fires up on the new PCM. Bill, I sent you an email. let me know what's next. thanks!

Tuner in Training
    I put the updated v6 ECU back on the engine. after working through a couple of my own mistakes, I now have working MAP input that seems accurate, everything else seems ready to fire - EXCEPT for one thing, when I crank the engine (no fuel pressure, just looking at cranking RPM), I get 2x-3x actual rpm on the VCM scanner. I.e. it shows 600rpm cranking when I know it's more like 150-170 - my starter and battery are not that awesome.

is the firmware that controls decoding of the 24x target wheel embedded as part of the firmware, or a TPU, or something separate that it cannot decode the 24x v8 signal properly?