Thread: 05/6 cobalt 2.2L ecotec not compatible with hp tuners, what if...

05/6 cobalt 2.2L ecotec not compatible with hp tuners, what if...

you used an ecu from a 2L or 2.4L?
    have an 06 that customer turbo'd and i'd really like to use stock ecu and not a piggyback device.
    anyone know if this is possible?
    it is manual trans so we don't have to worry about that?

HELP PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    you used an ecu from a 2L or 2.4L?
    have an 06 that customer turbo'd and i'd really like to use stock ecu and not a piggyback device.
    anyone know if this is possible?
    it is manual trans so we don't have to worry about that?

HELP PLEASE!

05-06 2.2 is a bit of an oddball. (6-1 timing trigger with "ignition sensing cam sensor" module)
    For an OEM ecu swap you probably need a different crank triggerwheel (bolt to crank pulley) and maybe also fab a cam sensor signal...

6 minus 1 on a 4 cylinder? how the heck does that work? and same for ignition sensing cam sensor.

alright, guess i'm stuck with a piggyback like aem fic.

gm does some weird stuff sometimes...

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the aem fic 6 is almost 500$ so if your gonna be in that price range i would highly recommend the megasquirt ms3 standard ecu and buy a 36-1 crank wheel and sensor from them to clarify the signal input. its still close to the same price and it does so much more. (only mention it since its around that price and your already performing wiring modifications at that point. just another option to review)

ms3 - $550
    crank wheel - max 38$
    crank sensor - max 38$

total $ just over 600. plus you can utilize the factory relays and fuses
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

really? even an ms1 would work then because i don't think this thing is full sequential. but you can't just take out the stock ecu can you? it runs all kinds of other things. and if i took spark and fuel from it, then i'd have a ton of CELs and readiness would never set and we have to have that to pass emissions.

we sell the fic 6 for 425. that's a pretty normal price. even on aem's site it's 447.

The bigger problem you have to worry about when you go away from the stock ECU is the knock detection... seems like the best knock systems are with the stock ECU's.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    ms3 has programmable knock circuits so i find that hard to believe now.
    link ecu has the knock block which lets you hear the knock through headphones as the unit reports its findings to an ecu.

do you have more information on your statement because i'm always ready to learn more. (i'm not saying no your wrong here just stating kr detection has come along way in standalone operation the past year)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman