Thread: Tuning compatible pcm's

Advanced Tuner

Tuning compatible pcm's

I have a list of pcm's that are compatible with my setup, I see they come from a variety of different vehicles. My motor and PCM is from a 02 regal with the 3800sc in a fiero. I believe my PCM is fried. I understand I'll have to license it as its a new PCM but will it run the engine as if it was the original PCM or will I have to do some reconfiguring?
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

98-02 GTP PCM will work.

98-02 Regal GS PCM should work too. They will just be plug and play.

If you find a 98-00 PCM it makes removing the rear o2 sensor's easy.

The 97 GS and GTP pcm are bigger and have a different connector. The 03 PCM's look the same but the transmission was upgraded on the inside along with some changes to the way its controlled, so they will not work either.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 08-07-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I have one coming from the wreckers from a 2000 grand am he said it has the 3800 sc but I don't know of any grand ams with that. Mabey he ment grand prix. Anyhow It has a compatible service number. I didn't want to get another regal one as I was told that it's a biotch to dissable the vats. I won't receive it till tomorrow, what do I do with it? Hook it up, read and save the file and either load my regal tune or find a gtp tune and load that?

Grand am's dont use a 3.8, so it must be a grand prix.

Have the battery unhooked, plug in the new PCM, hook battery back up and open the VCM editor, read the PCM and use the 2 credits to licence it. Make sure that when you read it, that it is infact a L67/supercharged computer.

Save the stock file somewhere and begin tuning.

You said its a GTP car so the GTP file is already on it, there is no need to load anything different on it right away. If you had changed certain things on your Regal PCM, just change them on the Grand Prix PCM.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Grand am's dont use a 3.8, so it must be a grand prix.

Have the battery unhooked, plug in the new PCM, hook battery back up and open the VCM editor, read the PCM and use the 2 credits to licence it. Make sure that when you read it, that it is infact a L67/supercharged computer.

Save the stock file somewhere and begin tuning.

You said its a GTP car so the GTP file is already on it, there is no need to load anything different on it right away. If you had changed certain things on your Regal PCM, just change them on the Grand Prix PCM.
    Yeah hopefully it's a gtp. My service number is 12209624 and I was told that 09380717 is compatable so that's the one I got as it was the only one available close to me from a list of compatable pcm's. Say it is from a grand am with that number(09380717), can't I just write over it with a gtp tune from the repository or try my regal and not worry about having to use credits up? If not, could the stealership tech 2 do something that will work for me?

A grand am pcm won't be the same, so hopefully like we've said its truely a grand prix PCM.

And no you must use 2 more credits on this PCM. To be able to change stuff or write anything to this "new" pcm you might have the "rights" to do so, so that means you must licence this computer to do anything.

A dealership can't change anything for you.

So when the computer comes and if its the correct one, just licence it and start over. Thats the best way to go about this. If anything on the Regal PCM that you think should be on the GTP pcm, just do a simple copy and paste or change it to how you want it.

Don't take a file thats already made for the regal and try writing it onto the gtp pcm, you'll just cause another problem.

Advanced Tuner
    A grand am pcm won't be the same, so hopefully like we've said its truely a grand prix PCM.

And no you must use 2 more credits on this PCM. To be able to change stuff or write anything to this "new" pcm you might have the "rights" to do so, so that means you must licence this computer to do anything.

A dealership can't change anything for you.

So when the computer comes and if its the correct one, just licence it and start over. Thats the best way to go about this. If anything on the Regal PCM that you think should be on the GTP pcm, just do a simple copy and paste or change it to how you want it.

Don't take a file thats already made for the regal and try writing it onto the gtp pcm, you'll just cause another problem.
    Ok got that, but how do compatable pcm's work? What if it did come from a grand am and it has the correct service number?

Advanced Tuner
    I looked up the computer to hpt and sure enough the guy sent me one from a 2000 grand am, it does have the compatible service number though, what to do? Or could I get a tune from a 2000 gtp from the repository and load it over the grand am PCM or the regal PCM? I would rather do the regal as hopefully I can get my money back as I specifically told them I needed it from a gtp with the 3.8 sc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,

but you still can't use a grand am computer, the files/tables/drop downs will not even be close to the same as the grand am doesnt have a 3.8 nor a supercharger. Writing over a "tune" from a GTP wont do anything.

Advanced Tuner

but you still can't use a grand am computer, the files/tables/drop downs will not even be close to the same as the grand am doesnt have a 3.8 nor a supercharger. Writing over a "tune" from a GTP wont do anything.
    Ok forget the grand am PCM, what about writing over the regal with the gtp for the purpose of tuning out the vats?

Advanced Tuner

Any confirmation to this? Don't these pcm's work similar to a home computer for programming? I mean if I want to upgrade from windows 7 to 8 I delete 7 and install 8. I was hoping to do the same with th grand am incase my PCM is f'ed.
    I'm still waiting on the wreckers to see if they have a gtp PCM.