Thread: Help with Single Turbo 4.8 on E85 (scan and tune inside)

Tuner in Training

Help with Single Turbo 4.8 on E85 (scan and tune inside)

Looking for some help with dialing in my car.

Combination is as follows:
    2004 LR4 4.8L 70mm Single Turbo
    GTO Manifolds, 2.25" crossover, T4 Flange, 4" downpipe (fender exit)
    Holley Modular Mid Rise with 90mm Throttle Body (coned down to 3")
    Holley dominator pump in-tank feeding a Holley bypass regulator (-10 feed -8 return).
    Comp Thumpr Cam http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1440&sb=2
    4L80E Manual Shift Reverse Valve Body (TCI) Transbrake (stockish stall)

The PCM and OS is from a 2004 GTO loaded with the 3bar OS Enhancement.
    I am currently running the Dstek 3 Bar map.
    Injectors are the Ford Racing 80lb.

I started off by taking all the 4.8 tables and copying them over to the GTO PCM for a baseline.
    Injector information has been changed as well as stoich for the E85 Fuel.

I am logging my AEM through the AC pressure switch and I have the scanner setup for my AFR error.

First Impressions and Observations:

Right off the bat, I noted that the VE table is scaled stupid rich. The car will not idle on its own without help from the VCM controls. I started following the Idle guide, but it is pointless until I have the VE table close.

To start on the VE table, I setup my scanner to log VE AFR Error and started copying back into the table to scale it back some. I only did the multiply by % half because I was afraid of throwing it too much, but obviously by the log I still need to pull a ton of fuel out (please see attached scan).
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Here are my questions:

-Am I correct to think I can not start idle tuning until my VE table is setup correctly? (at least in the idle range)
    -In order to get my IAC counts down, I have done the relarn procedure twice, and now my TPS voltage is at .66 what else can I do to get the iac counts in line? Furthermore, how do I even tune the IAC? I cant seem to find any information on that portion of idle tuning, just air-flow specific stuff.
    -If I can control the idle via the VCM controls by choising a desired idle iac at 900rpm, why wont it idle on its own?

...I guess I have a rough idea of what need to be done, but I need a little guidance as to the process of events and if anyone could point me in the Right direction?

My thoughts are as follows:
    -Tune the VE table using the current tune config, even if I have to force an idle with the VCM Controls.
    -Once VE is tuned, adjust airflow and set IAC to get the car to idle on its own so I can follow the guide for tuning Idle Air Flow
    -Once idle is situated, move on to part throttle timing and further VE tuning if necesarry
    -Once part throttle is complete, move on to WOT and PE

...am I headed the right way?drive home.hplOpen Loop VE & Idle Tune.hptIdle-Airflow.cfg

Advanced Tuner
    I'm looking at this for you. I'm about 6 weeks ahead of you with a very similar combo. 3BAR, E85, Non stock intake etc.
    Need to look at this for a bit.

BTW, mine started out dead rich too.......

Ok. Your log file is confusing.
    It appears you are driving around. Near 100 mph but hardly any TPS. Is the MPH correct at all?
    You are logging the std MAP sensor, but your tune is calibrated for 3 Bar. So the MAP readings don't seem right at all.
    There is a 3BAR Manifold Absolute Pressure in the PID list.
    Delete the std MAP and add the 3 BAR.

We can't see your custom PID for the AFR. And you didn't log commanded AFR.
    So how close is the AFR at idle? I would lean the idle cell and those around it for now until it is happy AFR wise. With the whacked out MAP readings, I can't really tell what cell that is? Anyway mine was stupid rich too so I started just taking 10% bites out. highlight them multiply by .9 etc.
    Mine actually idled rich, but sure got happier as I got to 9.8 AFR.

BTW, a bit rich is better than lean with E85.

Your overspeed and underspeed tables have the idle timing going all over the place. Are those numbers from the truck tune, or the GTO? You can try controlling the timing with the VCM control as well.

That cam has a lot of overlap. Hence the name Thumpr. I would add more airflow in the Base Running Airflow table.

Your VE table has half the resolution of mine. I guess the GTO PCM is that much different. I used a 99 Camaro in mine.

I did the same as you. Copied over all sorts of stuff from the truck to the Camaro PCM. In the end, I should have left it all as a 5.7 tune. Including the engine size etc. I noted that the VE table numbers all got bigger when I added the cyl volume for the 5.3 in place of the 5.7. I should have left it alone.

As my mentor told me, you have a cam with overlap, a completely different than stock intake manifold and a goofy intake tract. The VE will be all messed up.

I didn't worry about IAC until it was idling happily. IAC stuff is confusing.
    Last edited by RonSSnova; 05-23-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new