Thread: Maf calibration guess on oddball project

Maf calibration guess on oddball project

I was here before posting as athet, my account info seems to be gone.
    Anyway, I'm the guy with the 1973 postal jeep with a 1998 Camaro 3800 powertrain.

I just put in an M62 Eaton supercharger from a Mercedes (I know it's too small, but it was $125 and I've got to start somewhere. I've pulleyed it up to its mechanical limit, and it should do 3-4 psi boost at best, so that's safe then.

I also bought a Holden Commodore intake manifold for the Aussie version of the 3800 Series II and had it shipped over. This gives me a better intake manifold and a much easier ductwork path. With the supercharger mounted off the left bank of the engine, and the coil pack relocated behind the intake manifold, it's only about 6 inches from the supercharger to the throttle body.

Which brings me to my question: The Australian intake manifold didn't have a MAF sensor on the throttle body, so I welded the one from my stock 3800 Camaro intake to it. The Holden TB has the same size throttle plate as the US model, but instead of the progressive pulley of the Camaro, the Holden uses an ovoid throttle opening to achieve the same 'non linear flow at small throttle openings' result. I've been running it without the supercharger for the moment and discovered it likes more fuel at idle and small throttle openings. I don't think I'll be running into any of the 'too much flow for the MAF to calculate' problem, but this is pretty out there, and any MAF tuning input would be appreciated.

I'm waiting for some more ductwork, but I should be hooning around in a supercharged manner shortly.
    The goal is 0-60 under 5 sec, right now it's 5.3 sec.

-Anton Lovett
    Berkeley, California (not a hippie!)

'73 AMG DJ5, Pacer front suspension, 3:55 Explorer rear axle, no top, CJ5 folding windshield, LHD, 1998 3800 Series 2 Camaro powertrain, roll cage, 4 point belts, 1880lbs, 210-ish HP, soon to be supercharged to 260+? BIG STUPID FUN!

Advanced Tuner
    if your using the stock MAF sensor in a different throttle body you might have to recalibrate the maf. This is accomplished by purchasing the "EIO" and a Wideband oxygen sensor.

Thanks! I think it's going to end up a 'suck through' configuration, so do you think a MAF from another 3800 series 2/3 engine will be close in calibration?

Advanced Tuner
    if the throttle body is a different size than what that maf was calibrated for then it might not help. You could always run without the Maf
    i am no expert